Soulmates (poll)

Cathy says…

“He is more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same. If all else perished and he remained, I should still continue to be, and if all else remained, and we were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger. He’s always, always in my mind; not as a pleasure to myself, but as my own being.”

• I believe in soulmates - I have found mine and we are still together
  • I believe in soulmates - I have found mine but we have lost each other :frowning:
  • I believe in soulmates but I don’t necessarily think conventional domesticity works better with them than with someone you just like
  • I believe in soulmates but I haven’t found mine and won’t settle for anyone else
  • I don’t believe in the idea of ‘soulmates’ (for e.g. as Cathy describes it)

0 voters

Not really sure what it’s supposed to mean in any kind of detail. If it’s a “there’s one person for everyone” thing then that’s obviously total bollocks.

3 Likes

You can fall in love forever with multiple people at any one time tbh. No such things as a soul either which makes it a bit harder.

5 Likes

I’m not a soldier

13 Likes

it doesn’t have to be an objectively real soul I guess, just the thing that feels like your soul

I :heart: @Ruffers

2 Likes

If you believe in all that, then you’re setting yourself up for heartbreak and misery when your relationship doesn’t turn out the way you want it.

It also feels like an excuse not to work at a relationship too - “oh, we obviously weren’t soul mates”. Er, no.

Some people get on better than others, but don’t pretend there’s any magic about it.

God, I’m a bitter old man, aren’t I?

Spot the bloke who’s been through a divorce.

Yeah I guess even then I just believe there’s a ton of people you can feel like that about over a life, it’s just about the range of experience you have with them. Course some people do just stick with one person forever and are happy with it, so for them I guess the idea would be easier to relate to, but I think that’s an increasingly narrow experience of the world tbh.

7 billion lads on the planet, no way soulmates is a thing unless you’ve met them all.

OUT ON THE WILD AND WINDY MOORS

1 Like

Load of BS.
It ties into the whole HE’S THE ONE. HE COMPLETES ME.
Just leads to co-dependency and emotionally intense relationships.

3 Likes

I can see how someone would believe that I was their soulmate, I’m terrific.

8 Likes

some people like these

1 Like

Weirdos! Get away from me with your “emotions”

1 Like

But in all seriousness, what happens when it doesn’t work out?
Cause like people that do that thing and it’s like SHE’S MY SOUL MATE end up ditching all their mates and then the person dies and they’re left with NO ONE

Moral of the story: Be a lone wolf even IN a relationship

4 Likes

Sam & Dave

1 Like

We don’t have to be happy all the time, some sadness can be a beautiful experience too

‘bittersweet’ I think they call it

I think so anyway

I’m not sure it’s called bittersweet.

It’s like deep grief and loneliness cause you put your heart and soul into the soulmate who just ya know left

yes that’s true, probably takes a fair bit of time to look back and get to bittersweet