Soulmates (poll)

After 40-odd years of relationships all I know is that I know nothing at all

I bloody forgot to put a ‘don’t know’ in there, didn’t I?!

Particularly silly what with it being my choice

1 Like

you would just have to get back on the soul train

1 Like

no such thing as ‘the one’

it’s more that most people you meet (the overwhelming majority) are not ‘the one’

but do you believe in ‘soulmates’ if you could have more than one

1 Like

My wife is my soulmate, and I can’t imagine anyone telling me that a) they don’t exist when b) I’ve found the best person in the world for me and c) we are brilliant together.

Not a very fashionable ideal, but I believe in it because I believe she is it, for me.

3 Likes

Ahhhh god bless you sheeldz <3

Actually, thinking about it I don’t believe there is such a thing. It’s all a bit to Mystic Meg. Sure, you can meet someone who you ‘click’ with and, if you are lucky, get to spend your lives together in perfect harmony, but I don’t think that’s down to destiny or anything

Probably believed in a soulmate when I was a teenager. That’s because I was young, stupid and hadn’t met any girls that I wasn’t related to. And I had just watched An Officer and a Gentlemen.

Interestingly, I guess I don’t ascribe to the ideal we were made for each other, which might be a key part of the true meaning of “soulmate”, but that I’ve met someone who I love completely and she loves me completely, and we match perfectly. I don’t think we were made for each other, as I don’t believe in a higher power.

1 Like

I’d be better off soul skating

1 Like

not really, but I do vehemently believe the idea you can fall in love with anyone is not really true

See it resonates with me more to be made for someone rather than being someones soul mate.

I may not believe in soulmates IRL, but can’t get enough of that concept in films and tv shows.

I’m totally invested in The Good Place because Eleanor and Chidi are destined to be together no matter what heaven and hell do to prevent it.

But if through a twist of fate you hadn’t met your wife you probably wouldn’t have just stayed single and thought got the whole human race to go through I hope I find my soul mate in the first 10 or 20 tries

1 Like

I guess we might be talking at cross-definitions, so here’s mind;

• Made for someone; destiny meant you two were always meant to be together, and you were made “two halves of a single whole”
  • Soulmate; someone that is your reflection, as a person, that you can become a partner with and to, with everything matching

I guess, both are broadly similar, maybe? And maybe, I’d think separately if the definition was different?

Probably not, no, and maybe I’d have met someone who I would have though was my soulmate then and there, right? Who knows? I guess the key thing is that I believe she is my soulmate and that makes sense as a way to quickly describe to someone the bond I feel to her, which feels more than just “love” or whatever.

1 Like

I know Tim Minchin is pretty annoying, but I think his “If I Didn’t Have You” kind of hits the nail on the head:

But I’m just saying
I don’t think you’re special
I mean, I think you’re special
But, you fall within a bell curve

2 Likes

Oh ok.

I think your definition of Made For Someone is what I would desrcibe as a soul mate.
The stars aligned and you came together!

Me being made for someone means that like I just really suit them (practically) and they really suit me (practically). Usually the opposite of each other. My example would be like I can’t do something but they can and I can do something that they can’t meaning WE’RE MADE FOR EACH OTHER which I shout a lot