Soundgarden fans?

Any fans of this band out there?
I mean, I could happily never hear Black Hole Sun again but that aside they released some stunning albums.

I remember seeing them on the Down on the Upside tour but for me the record that got me hooked was SuperUnknown. Heavy, melodic…I love the guitar tunings they use on that album.

https://www.onmydeck.com/feed/postdetail/374

also
https://www.onmydeck.com/feed/postdetail/460

I used to absolutely love them as a teenager. Superunknown was the album that got me into them but I really liked badmotorfinger and down on the upside. Also temple of the dog. However when I tried to listen to it post Chris Cornell passing I really struggled to enjoy it.
However, I recognise that for what they did they were great. Kim’s guitar playing was fantastic. Love those crazy tunings.

1 Like

Yes mate.

Superunknown remains my favourite album of all time. Was fortunate enough to see them perform it in full (for the last time!) in the blazing sunshine at Hyde Park BST a few years back.

Did not like Down on the Upside much, and definitely not King Animal… But a big fan of the weird early Fopp era stuff too (and Badmotorfinger of course).

3 Likes

I love them, especially the Badmotorfinger - Superunknown - Down on the Upside run, with Superunknown probably being the very best.

I think Fresh Tendrils is secretly their best song:

7 Likes

been spinning that song as well this afternoon. Mailman too. :ok_hand:

1 Like

Got a soft spot for Louder Than Love. Loud Love and Ugly Truth in particular. But obviously Superunknown is the best

2 Likes

YES

3 Likes

I love everything from Louder than Love up to Down On the Upside, and I mean LOVE. There’s such a warm darkness to their music that is so very unique. No other band comes close except maybe Afghan Whigs… but then not quite. Just love everything about them

3 Likes

Saw them in 1994 when they were touring Superunknown and they were fantastic. Still surprised that an album that was, in places, really fucking heavy was so popular. Probably only listen to Superunknown and Badmotorfinger these days but they both fucking slap.

1 Like

I remember seeing Outshined and Jesus Christ Pose on Raw Power back in the day and particularly the latter blew me away.

A lot of love for the band

Both kids have been sung to sleep with Black Hole Sun many times

5 Likes

Love this

2 Likes

I don’t think I ever made a connection with the Afghan Whigs, but the ‘warm darkness’ is bang on. I played my cassettes of Gentlemen and Superunknown to deteriorating death.

I seem to remember my AWOL copy of the awesome Badmotorfinger having the same cover, but in yellow and green. Memory playing tricks perhaps. Unbelievable to think they supported G’NR at my first gig. Old Wembley Stadium in daylight, but great anyway.

1 Like

Hard agree on Fresh Tendrils. Buying the cassette single of Spoonman was my first introduction to Soundgarden, and FT was the b-side. Listened to that way more than Spoonman.

3 Likes

Hands all over is fantastic too

2 Likes

Indeed

Add Get On the Snake, Full On Kevin’s Mom and Big Dumb Sex to the list of highlights for me please

1 Like

I saw them at Rock City on the Badmotorfinger tour. To this day, one of the most violent gigs I’ve been to. Great, though.

1 Like

My first exposure to them was seeing the video for Jesus Christ Pose on MTV back in the day and being blown away, got Badmotorfinger on cassette soon after. I have a lot of love for this album and of course Superunknown, I quite like Down on the Upside but King Animal pretty much left me cold.

1 Like

“SHAME! SHAME! THROW YOURSELF AWAAAAAAY!!!”

5 Likes

Yes! And Uncovered. I think Gun and I Awake are the only songs on there I never really got along with

I love them. I think I prefer Badmotorfinger to Superunknown but it’s close. The first 4 tracks on Bad… are the best opening to any album. When Cornell died it was the first time a famous person dying really bothered me.

1 Like