Sourdough & general bread baking thread 2021. Lockdown 3: The Breadening

Yep, exactly that and then feed it. (Different recipes/instructions will use different quantities but as long as your flour and water weigh the same it’ll be fine)

2 Likes

How big a jar do you need? Never tried making a sourdough so want to give it a spin.

Not that big, like generally large pasta sauce size (I actually just use small pesto sized ones so only do 25-30g feeds until its active, and sometimes use an old takeaway Tupperware box when jars are being washed/drying).

You can mix up larger amounts in a bowl. And put smaller amount back in the jar. Just need to ensure has room to double in size.

2 Likes

Mine’s a bone madam jam jar

Bonne maman ffs

2 Likes

Thanks @Unlucky and @the_ravens, will give it a spin in the morning!

1 Like

Look at my bulge!

4 Likes

Was scrolling down like ‘look at that perfect bre… Oh’

1 Like

My first sourdough in my new oven is looking good so far! It is a ‘pain de campagne’ which means the flour I used is a blend of bread flour with rye and whole wheat added. Fingers crossed it looks good when I slice it open.

6 Likes

Looks fab :yum:

1 Like

Making wild garlic and cheese scones :wave: 2020

7 Likes

Using my baking cloche for the first time, who’s excited?

1 Like

Also made this sundried tomato and cashew cheese loaf. Made the recipe kinda up as i went along so not a great crust

Looks a lot paler in the photo

1 Like

Looks good! How does it taste?

Abandoned my rye sourdough starter a few months ago, couldn’t handle the pressure. Also, didn’t really like being limited to sourdough the entire time.

Have now got to the stage with breadmaking where I don’t really measure anything too much, I feel like some kind of magician.

@avery can I publicly shame you into bringing your sourdough starter back to life?

3 Likes

Its resting. Awaiting lunchtime.

1 Like

Bread is stuck to the cloche :frowning:

It was nice, bit underbaked and crust was slightly weird, felt kind breadsticky, not quite as nice as i was expecting 7/10

1 Like

eat the cloche

1 Like

i’ll literally just post anything these days. not even sure how i ended up in this thread