South Carolina (plus NC and GA?)

Hey, anyone happen to be an expert on this neck of the woods? We have 2.5 weeks, flying into Charlotte then a few days visiting my daughter in Greenwood. After that nothing booked!
Someone suggested a loop from Athens Ga, to Asheville, to Blowing Rock, then Outer Banks, to Charleston, then Savannah then back to Charlotte.
Would love advice on an alternative just picking maybe 3 key places for longer stays. Anyway any advice welcome!

Would definitely suggest visiting Asheville, great town. Laid back, good music, food, scenery. Not sure if your much into hiking but a beautiful section of the appalachian trail goes through NC and ends near north georgia. Athens is a cool town but will have a very big college contingent out with University of Georgia there if your visiting during college season. Savannah is a wonderful place. Old southern architecture, very big focus on the arts, stunning scenery.

If your looking for a nice laid back beach atmosphere in SC, Myrtle Beach is nice. Eat at NY Prime, tad expensive but one of the best meals I’ve ever had.

1 Like

Thanks so much for that. Ok definitely Asheville and Savannah then. Yep definitely want to see some of the Appalachian trail. I’d read that Myrtle Beach was kinda a built up party area, will check out again as probably mistaken. I reckon we’d love a few days somewhere low key and relaxing on the coast.

Charleston is lovely, lived there for 6 months in 2002! Didn’t travel too much around the area but really liked it there.

1 Like

Depends when you go DO NOT go during spring break. :laughing:

Myrtle that is.

1 Like

We’re going at the beginning of April, so will avoid that I think!

Buy some bear spray.

Stayed in Asheville last year. It’s lovely as NY mentioned above. If you like beer it has a good selection of breweries. Sierra Nevada and New Belgium being the biggest. Both were closed due to covid when we went. Greenman was a good one. If you want to catch a game of the “soccer” the Olde London Road English Pub is the place to go. May have British beer/snacks for sale.

If you want antiques and vintage clothing, Posies for Lulu is downtown and has an antique mall opposite.

The Moogseum is small but fun and great for the music nerd.

1 Like

Also you have to go to the Mellow Mushroom for beers and pizza in Asheville! Great place.

1 Like

In case anyone is still reading this, I got back from my (7th? 9th?) trip to North Carolina but my first trip to Asheville and totally fell in love with the place. Mountains, hippies, waterfalls, craft beer, wild turkeys, it had everything I wanted. I’d move there if I was willing to quit being a scientist.

3 Likes

That’s great to hear, we’re going back to the area in May (our trip early this year was cut short). Will definitely head to Asheville and check it out!

I was last there about 20 years ago (I think). Was only a short trip but had the absolute best time. Looks like it hasn’t changed at all! :+1:

1 Like

@Badgerdeluxe, @JoJoMarty or anyone else: any recommendations for Charlotte, NC?
Spending a few days there next month …

1 Like

Sorry only went to the airport!

1 Like

Definitely one place I’ll visit

1 Like

I’ve only spent a few hours there. Downtown didn’t seem particularly interesting, but the so-called NODA (North Davidson) neighbourhood was worth a wander for breweries, restaurants etc.

1 Like

Soul food, Carolina barbecue, and Vietnamese food. I haven’t been there in 15 years though, and can’t remember specific places. Vibrant R&B and rap music scene.

1 Like