Space - Give Me Your Future

As I’m a newbie on this site, you’ll probably already think I’m talking utter bollocks.

But I’ve just listened to Give Me Your Future, the brand new album by Space, and I think it’s the best British album I’ve heard since Bowie’s Blackstar.

Seriously, name me another so-called third-rate “Britpop” (ha ha) band that possesses this amount of vitality and energy almost three decades into their lifespan?

Pity everyone else is probably gonna slam it as outdated tosh.

I’ll get me coat.

2 Likes

do they still have the guy in a fez in them?

Nah, he left just before they made this one.

Are you a member of Space?

No, just another deranged lunatic fanboy.

I’m not a grammar Nazi, but I can never forgive them for that “more deadlier” lyric - especially not considering the number of times I ended up hearing that fucking song back in the 90s.

The content of this thread puzzled me, until I looked up Wikipedia and discovered there are two Space’s. I never heard of the UK one - I gather they did not make too many waves outside the UK.

Do they still have Darryl from The Walking Dead in them?

5 Likes

I’m a huge Space fan, by far my favourite band…

“Give Me Your Future” is a stonking album, “Killswitch” is the best track I’ve heard in years.
The whole album is a sort of love letter to 80’s synth, but with Tommy Scott’s exceptional ideas and lyrics shining through.

If people didn’t catch the album before this one, “Attack of the 50ft Mutant Kebab”, that’s a must. Insane-ska-bedlam.

They tour a lot, there’s loads of dates for this year coming up, and I’d highly recommend them live.

:slight_smile:

Oh, and there’s no “more deadlier” lyric…

The lyrics to “Female of the Species” are:

A thousand thundering thrills await me
Facing insurmountable odds gratefully
The female of the species is more deadly than the male

Shock shock horror horror
Shock shock horror
I’ll shout myself hoarse for your supernatural force

Oh she deals in witchcraft
And one kiss and I’m zapped

Oh how can heaven hold a place for me
When a girl like you has cast a spell on me

Frankenstein and Dracula have nothing on you
Jekyll and Hyde join the back of the queue

Oh she wants to conquer the world completely
But first she’ll conquer me discreetly

Oh she deals in witchcraft
And one kiss and I’m zapped

oh my word

9 Likes

Hello Tommy from Space!

Ha :smiley: :
You’d think so from the praise wouldn’t you!

Actually, I am one of the hardcore/super-geek/saddo Space fans. I do know Tommy.
He’s not a social media/web fan… so there’s not much chance of him coming across a forum like this.

You can click on my Twitter profile (Atomic Filmmaker) and see that I’m definitely not SPACE-affiliated, but I do share a lot of their posts cos I’m a fan.

2 Likes

Do you remember when bands recruited street teams to talk about them on music forums and hand out fliers outside shows?

They were better left in the 90s too.

3 Likes

What, like the Simpsons?

:smiley:

There’s some dark folk out there…

I’ve explained myself, my website is: atomicfilmmaker.com and my twitter profile links to this.
I’m a fan of the band, I’m not fussed if other are or not. But yeah, the fiction that I’m paid by Space (who have somehow hit upon the budget and genius marketing strategy to pay people to go on forums and try to convince people to listen to their music… Yeah, that, does sound like a Hank Scorpio masterplan.

Nice.

3 Likes

Space were great the couple of times I saw them in the 90s; proper full-on fun show with no pretensions. The bit in the middle of each show where they keyboard player got to go mad and do a 5 minute rave set was ace. Had no idea they were a going concern, though - loved Spiders and Tin Planet but they sort of vanished after that, no?

1 Like

Hey Parm,

They had an unreleased album (which later squirmed free virally online) called “Love you more than Football”, which was later followed up by “Suburban Rock ‘n’ Roll”… That’s a strange album, that doesn’t have many stand out crowd-pleasing “hits”, but IMO it’s actually their most-consistent album, the best to listen to in one go… and I put it as their second-best, just behind Spiders.

They also had another album they were working on called “Flies” but this never reached completion.

They split up in 2005, before reforming in 2011. Since then, we’ve had “Attack of the 50ft Mutant Kebab” and, this month, “Give Me Your Future”… Each album sounds very different to the last, with a style and theme chosen for each.

1 Like

Pretty sure that is his accent and a way of linking “deadly” with “than” fluently. I too have overthought this while over-listening in the 90s.

1 Like

Yeah, it might be a scouse thing…

In “Me & You vs the World” I always used to think he sang “wrapped like a gun” when talking about holding up a shop. It’s not, it’s “replica gun” which makes far more sense!! :smiley:

We need a thread listing our favourite mondegreens.

I always loved Manfred Mann singing what sounded like “revved up like a douche” every time the line appears in “Blinded By the Light”. Bruce Springsteen, apparently, was not amused.

2 Likes

Ah, yeah I thought that line went “you love like a douche in the middle of the night”

3 Likes