Spectacle-wearers

I tried taking them off, which solved the falling off problem, but also meant I couldn’t see what I was doing

I started wearing them about 8 or 9, and I got mocked not just for wearing glasses, but being a nerd. It was part of the whole package really. Maybe if I was a cool kid I wouldn’t have got mocked for wearing glasses, but if you were the kind of person who’d spend break times in the computer lab rather than playing football of course the bullies are going to throw “four eyes” into the mix too.

1 Like

Worn them since about 18m/2yr so :person_shrugging:

Even at age 9/10 I wore Timmy Mallet style ones that were like 5 different colours. Styled it out :star_struck::star_struck::joy:

Basically, glasses are the best.

16 Likes

Glasses look extra cool when they’ve been snapped in half and stuck together again with wire :nerd_face:

1 Like

An elastoplast around the nose bridge is mwa (chef kiss)

1 Like

Didn’t have so much of a problem to start with (other than I hated the glasses and broke them myself to get out of wearing them).

By juniors though I was constantly getting extra glasses bullying. Kids are rubbish.

Not that I recall. I didn’t need them that much though as only one eye was bad so it wasn’t until uni where I was sitting about 3x as far back from the board at least that I had to go and get a new pair. Obviously when you study physics at uni there isn’t much extra bad that can come of a pair of glasses.

My mate Richard at school did get shit but I think it was more that he got loads of bullying full-stop TBH so he got it for everything. :frowning:

Absolutely fine. Do/wear what you want.

1 Like

Not the weirdest thing he’s done by any stretch of the imagination but I read somewhere that Woody Allen has never actually needed glasses. Bit peculiar to wear them all day every day for decades if you don’t have to.

Same, I think glasses really add to my look, so it’s a shame. But I’m aware I have major good eyesight privilege here, shouldn’t take it for granted.

Haven’t had an eye test since primary school though, feel like I should probably go for one at some point. I still have pretty good eyesight I think but sometimes my eyes feel a bit strained - probably from not sleeping enough and spending all day online, but worth a little check up probably.

1 Like

I picked up a cheap pair of clear framed ones once actually but can’t remember why, maybe a potential halloween costume. I had no intention of wearing them in everyday life but I think I wore them to the shops a couple of times as a little novelty. Until I sat on them and broke them.

Seems like bollocks looking at this

I got called “4 eyes” and a “speccy twat” as recently as my early 30’s by someone of a similar age. Really odd thing for someone to say

I still get daily contact lenses but barely wear them now. I only put them on if i need to wear a mask

Also, caught a glimpse of myself in a lift mirror recently without my glasses and i look bloody awful. Should probably cancel my lense subscription…

I was 8 or 9 when I started wearing them

speccy 4 eyes
double glazing/everest
Adrian Mole/Jarvis Cocker/Harry Potter etc

even got called ‘Speckled hen’ by some kids in the year below …oh how kids can be so cruel

why are they all so …

1 Like
Long
  • +0.1 to +1.0
  • +1.1 to +2.0
  • +2.1 to +3.0
  • +3.1 to +4.0
  • +4.1 to +5.0
  • .>+5.0
  • Other

0 voters

Short
  • -0.1 to -1.0
  • -1.1 to -2.0
  • -2.1 to -3.0
  • -3.1 to -4.0
  • -4.1 to -5.0
  • .<-5.0
  • Other

0 voters

Only started wearing them at 20. I think I’ve only ever been complimented on them - apparently glasses make me look intelligent :sweat_smile:

Oh, no, I did get a tweet when I was on Catsdown about how I looked like I was wearing a comedy glasses and nose combo :grimacing:

Can you split these into left and right options?

:crazy_face:

5 Likes

Got prescribed reading glasses at some point during primary school but never really bothered wearing them much until uni and even then only really when I was in lectures or using the computer for work. These days I need them for nearly everything so keep them on most of the time once I’ve put them on, unless I’m wearing a face mask or my eyes get tired and I’m watching something on TV or reading something that doesn’t require that much attention.

Often realise about 5 mins into driving that I’m not wearing them cos I have to squint to read a sign properly and have to pull over to find them

1 Like

The biggest bummer with specs is not being able to watch TV in bed and fall asleep. But I don’t watch TV in bed anymore so it’s fine.

I gave up contacts a few years back but have had to get back on them for running (still had a load lying about).

Don’t remember taking shit for wearing them, mainly got shit for being half German.

Had to wear glasses since I was five or so. I have such incredibly bad eyes that even now the NHS pays a good chunk towards each new pair of glasses. Had a few comments about four eyes and specs in the playground, but only in a kids being kids way, never any really nasty sustained bullying, luckily.

I don’t regret having to wear them, it’s just me at this point, but I do wonder if I might have turned out a bit more sporty / adventurous if I hadn’t spent my childhood having to worry about breaking my glasses.