Spencer Krug (last Moonface LP)

This was brought about by someone pointing out that Spotify had a new “Moonface” single on his artist page…but it was by another band.

He’s usually quite self-critical so proclaiming this upcoming Moonface album to be his “best” is either exciting or a huge wind up. Some way to go to beat Julia…

Love me some SK

Yeah, I listened to that Moonface track and was wondering what was going on.

I wonder if this will finally be his Vibraphone album?

Listening to Dreamland right now, it’s astonishing how many melodies and emotions he gets into one long song with one main instrument. Genuinely think few contemporary peers can compare to his talent…and I appreciate how he’s true he’s stayed to himself over the years.

Would love an album as strong as Julia. Nice to be reminded of it as I’m gonna listen to it on the way to work tmw.

Think Daughter And The Dove is in my top ten tracks of all time

Krug is one of the all time greats

Such a track, can never listen just once.

He is a genuine musical genius

There’s a track from this on Spotify (thanks other thread!)

First impressions are great…this could be the maximalist, no-holds-barred Krug release that Ive been waiting for

The write up he gives leans in that direction.

http://jagjaguwar.com/artist/moonface/

I’m intrigued to say the least.

That was really interesting to read!

Marimba! Lovely stuff

Good

Mad, innit. Just what I want from him tbh. Also pleased to here he is gradually working on another solo piano album and a WP one

It is kind of weird that piano album came out under this project banner, it’s like he wasted it (I like other moonface iterations but that style had the most potential for a wider audience)

Could reissue it I guess?

I just think after that album he was poised for a larger audience but the follow up didn’t capitalise on it so he has lost a bit of momentum. Think he was always doing that, the wolf parade second album took so long they had kind of lost their moment, sunset rubdown became incredible and then just stopped. Too restless is the Krugster

I think there’s probably an element of…not self-sabotage exactly…but a feeling that he becomes uncomfortable with popularity. Based on interviews I would say that’s down to his own fear of complacency more than anything else.

I’m happy with how he does things. Always exciting and unexpected

Find Minotaur forgives knossos a bit too sad

This is brilliant isn’t it? The minotaur songs are grabbing most at the moment (esp Daedalus and Knossos) but it’s all pretty great.