The Smashing Pumpkins - Rage against the Machina

My old friend John Brainlove did this thread about a thousand years ago, but I still remember. I voted for SP mostly on the strength of Adore. Yes, of course, Gish and that other famous one, but Adore…I love Adore, and never mind ever thing else. Yes, Kurt Cobain, it was a tough decision, but for me, SP.

Revisiting old threads. SP v. Nirvana.

SP - Apples+Oranges

1 Like

Soundgarden

2 Likes
1 Like

The Flaming Lips.

1 Like

If you mean in the grunge genre as a whole, considering Nirvana was not grungey and was more punk rockey, the best band was Soundgarden, head and shoulder above everything else.

If you mean to compare both bands as musical entities, I reckon Cobain was not the most gifted singer, but the bald dickhead from SP has the most annoying, raspey, whining voice of the whole rock n’roll history, so Nirvana wins this one easy.

If you mean from an historical prespective, then Nirvana had the more impactful career seen since the Beatles, so there’s not even a debate.

One the one hand, Nirvana, but on the other… SP.

1 Like

Not sure a band with just two albums could ever be ranked above the mighty SP

3 Likes

Pumpkins - better, Nirvana - cooler.

12 Likes

History would be much kinder to the Pumpkins if Billy Corgan had just stopped opening his mouth in about 1997

11 Likes

Dead (unexcited to be at itchy and scratchyland)

Yeah, but what about a band with more than two albums, like Nirvana?

Not a massive fan of either, but I’d say Bleach is the best record by either of them, then Siamese Dream.

(nirvana is quite obviously the better band btw)

8 Likes

Always Pumpkins for me. Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie are both untouchable.

Corgan is a massive piece though and has produced a big load of guff since 2000. Had Kurt lived I can’t see him producing quite as much shite, always thought he would have gone down a more REM or Neil Young kind of route.

2 Likes

I wasn’t counting EPs

Neither was I.

Which one of Bleach, Nevermind and In Utero are you not counting?

Bleach is actually a plus-size EP.

1 Like

If you say so. :smirk:

Think he’s trolling. Or just confusing it with Incesticide. Who knows.

I don’t think he’s trolling, it’s a common mistake people make

7 Likes

Lol, I meant you. Meant to reply to Richie. You’re wrong blates. It’s ok, you were only 3 when Bleach came out, I remember buying it.