The Smashing Pumpkins - Rage against the Machina

It’s one of the great EPs tbf. But I think they stepped up with their debut album, Nevermind

11 Likes

Battle of the EPs

• Smashing Pumpkins - Lull
  • Nirvana - The Bleach EP

0 voters

imagine if Corgan had died in 94 and Kurt cobain carried on putting out albums, doing 24 hour modular synth jam sessions and getting into wrestling

6 Likes

FTFY

2 Likes

Honestly don’t really believe Cobain had any really incredible, next level musical or songwriting genius. Had they kept on they might have released one or two good records and then have faded like all the other grunge bands. They released two really great rock albums, but they weren’t on course to become the next Beatles. WHAT MIGHT HAVE BEEN is probably just a bit more of the same and then diminishing returns.

Likewise, Corgan might have been seen as a Godlike genius and not a complete willy had he topped himself after Mellon Collie.

for christ’s sake, mate

7 Likes

Smashing Pumpkins are very bad

4 Likes

Which do you think is the hottest take in this thread?

• Smashing Pumpkins are bad
  • Cobain didn’t have any incredible songwriting talent

0 voters

If Nirvana had carried on, Grohl would have contributed more b-sides and album tracks. Then it all comes to a head in 97 when Geffen want Everlong as the lead single for the new Nirvana album.This is vetoed by Love. Grohl is pissed and quits the band.

2 Likes

My mind says SP. My heart says Nirvana.

probably would have happened after In Utero anyway after the Marigold debacle

Not often I get to boast on the Internet. Check out the ticket numbers!

23 Likes

Definitely Nirvana

If the Smashing Pumpkins were any good Take That would’ve covered them instead

5 Likes

sort of hard to judge as I think SP’s best is as good or better than anything Nirvana put out, but I don’t really give much of a shit about anything post-Mellon Collie. Corgan’s certainly an asshole, but looking back, I think a lot of Cobain’s attitude was incredibly petty and offputting too.

I’ll probably give SP the nod as I’ve been burned out on Nirvana (barring a few tracks) for a long time.

Going on the number of times I listened to the albums, it would have to be SP. Looking at wider impact it’s definitely Nirvana.

4 Likes

Corgan has become such an unbearable plonker it is difficult to separate him from the Pumpkins output, which is a shame because I reckon they’ve got a serious edge over Nirvana.

Do people really still maintain to hate Machina too? It’s bloated as all hell, but has “The Everlasting Gaze”, “Try, Try, Try”, “Stand Inside Your Love”, “Wound” and “This Time” on it.

3 Likes

I’m going to limit myself to just a few sentences for now because I could easily write volumes on this, but it’s without a doubt the Pumpkins. Nirvana were a great band, but the Pumpkins are just levels beyond anyone. Corgan is a singular once-in-a-lifetime talent, and the quantity and quality and nature and variety of his work (particularly 1991-2000, b-sides and demos and live performances and all) will never be reproduced or even approached by anyone.

Off to listen to the 1997 Vancouver show.

2 Likes

i like a couple of SP songs tbf but can’t imagine ever choosing to listen to a whole album’s worth of that fucking voice

2 Likes

anyway the answer is Sonic Youth

4 Likes