Spiders at home 🏡 🕷

The same one?

1 Like

I currently have Camilla in the kitchen, Flora in the bathroom and Athalia in the bedroom. They’re chill. Doing well

6 Likes

The cat usually gets to them first, I’m afraid

Jyst a general fyi Evicting housespuders isnt very humane btw. Most spend their whole lives living in your home and if they dont end up in your house or another house sharpish theyll likely die.

3 Likes

Wife and kids are terrified of them so I always catch them and take them to the end of the garden. My wife and kids, not the spiders.

11 Likes

This topic lands differently in Australia.

4 Likes

I love a hygienic housemate

1 Like

I niss my shower spider. They used to always pop out of there hole for a drink whenever i had a shower and theyd be in the corner dabbing water and putting in its mouth as i showered

I was horrified by spiders until I started visiting Aus. Now most European spiders are fine and I don’t care about them.
Still terrified in Aus though.

3 Likes

I like to give all of them a little kiss before bedtime.

This Post Paid For By PROF$

3 Likes

Its not even a phobia in aus. Theyre a legit threat

2 Likes

Sidney lives in the apex of our ceiling and is getting fat cause we get lots of flies from
The garden. The kids like him as he’s well out of reach and keeps to himself. Have been v. Arachnophobic in the past and am trying to be a lot better. Can now catch and relocate a lot better but like having a few permanent residents to keep the guys normalised in my brain.

Also getting a bug barn and magnifying jar really helped.

Small ones will probably be allowed to stay, big ones will probably be evicted, but there’s an intermediate size where they might get vacuumed.

Depends how panicked I am by them. I try and tend towards evacuation (sometimes by Ms Z), but sometimes I’ll end up stamping the poor things out :frowning:

It’s not really their fault they’re so terrifying, so I do feel bad about it.

2 Likes

Straight into the neighbour’s letterbox, got it

6 Likes

Perfect solution for all parties

2 Likes

Get a lot of False Widows here in Norwich. They like to hang around window ledges and door frames. My friend walked through a web leaving her house a few weeks back and got bitten on her cheek. She said she felt like she’d been punched afterwards.

I am checking my doorframe like a motherfucker since hearing that.

1 Like

What’s the deal with not particularly wanting to disturb these guys, but trying to clean up the webs?

1 Like

i quite like them in the UK, good friends of mine that I just leave to go about their business. the dog doesn’t give a shit about them either.

but in canada? oh boy, yep need to just keep any eye on them as I am well allergic to their bites. i end up with huge paintball sized bruises if i get bit by them.

CW: my legs, huge spider bite, bruising.

Summary

there is one huge spider type in canada that you’re meant to just leave - dock spiders. they live on the underside of docks that protroude onto the lakes and waters of Ontario, at the very least, and a huge bastards - but do nothing. they just chill, eat dragon flies, and keep your deck clear and safe. wierd.

1 Like

Just googled. Nope.

2 Likes