Spoon Thread (Rolling)

Where should one start with Spoon?

Merci!

From Girls Can Tell try Lines in the Suit, Take the Fifth, Everything Hits at Once.

Perhaps their most ‘straight ahead’ album - without the distortion of the earlier stuff or the studio tricks and stylistic variations of the later ones. Great songs though.

Seeing as they don’t seem to book many European dates & have only ever played one headline Irish show I’ve decided to take the plunge and booked tickets for https://madcoolfestival.es/en/home.html

Hopefully there’ll be some decent additions to the lineup, but worth it to see Spoon, Wilco & Dinosaur Jr in one weekend & not been to Madrid before.

Tickets for the 3 date UK tour go on sale on Friday at 9am

Annoyingly I may not be able to make the london date, hopefully I can work something out. I missed them last time they were over.

This would have seriously pissed me off if they had announced an Irish show seeing as I’ve just forked out a fortune to see them in Madrid.
Have a family wedding in Lisbon the following week, so extending the trip & taking my daughter to her first festival on the way :slight_smile:

100 club show gig on sale today

Thank you for bringing this to my attention you absolute hero. Got me out of a huge Valentine-related hole

Ace. Just grabbed.

http://aura.spoontheband.com/

1 Like

Here’s mine:

Right, let’s see if I can format this right. Can we get a vote on what the best Spoon album is?

• Telephono
  • A Series of Sneaks
  • Girls Can Tell
  • Kill the Moonlight
  • Gimme Fiction
  • Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
  • Transference
  • They Want My Soul
  • I’ve heard Hot Thoughts, suckers!

0 voters

I tried to make it a ranking poll rather than single choice, but clearly I have reached my limit

There’s so little between most of these. Favourite could change on a daily basis with any one of 6-7 good shouts for best album.
Pretty confident that Hot Thoughts will fall into the mix too.

Yeah ideally it would have been rank your fave albums in numerical order (but I couldn’t get it to work)

Mine would have read:

1. Ga x5
  2. They Want My Soul
  3. Kill the Moonlight
  4. Gimme Fiction
  5. Transference
  6. Girls Can Tell

And then the rest. But you’re right, For me Ga x 5 is a 10/10, Girls Can Tell is a 7.5-8, and then all the rest are really close, almost to the point of being interchangeable

Spoon are great. I don’t have a go-to spoon album per se, just a go-to spoon playlist with like 6-7 songs from each album.

1 Like

Simply the greatest rock 'n roll band ever. Can’t wait to hear this new record. Somebody ought to send me a link so I can steal it, too.

Spoon are one of those bands I’ve been aware of, but always have a block in my head about listening to them, because I can’t get used to the fact it’s not one half of German electronic music duo, Jam & Spoon.

Anyway, I’ve been really digging this new song and figure I should probably give some of their older stuff a go. where’s the best place to start with them?

so gutted I didn’t hear about the 100 club show until it was already sold out

I have a ticket for the show in June, but still - 100 club will be amazing

Hopefully I might be able to get a spare ticket from someone nearer the time maybe

3 Likes