Sporting stadia

Just read this excellent and very funny piece about concept designs for sports grounds and how insane they are:

But there must be some good sporting arenas out there. What are your favourites and why?

The one in Portugal that has a cliff at one end instead of a stand, because, you know, it has a cliff.

Also the MCG

12 Likes

The San Siro is my favourite stadium I’ve visited. It’s beautiful.

5 Likes

Pics please

Glad that Chelsea didn’t get the go-ahead to make their ground in Battersea Powerstation as it would have been amazing and we’d have all had to pretend that it was actually shit…

Portsmouth had some rather ambitious floating island ground plan back in the day…

190325%20PFC

As it is, I actually quite like the mock tudor house entrance to their current ground :+1:

6 Likes

That is good.

IMO if there are neat features like this there should be specific rules in place for games played there, like you can kick the ball off the cliff and it’s still in play, like using the wall in five a side.

1 Like

Love how naff that look (Portsmouth, not Chelsea).

Absolutely mental and brilliant image

3 Likes

I bloody love Fratton Park. They can’t sell a certain number of seats in the north stand as it’d collapse if they did. Also, the way the north stand slopes is so weird. Great place

Looks like the setting for a dystopian future sport.

LAVA BALL!

4 Likes

Can’t wait for the sperm…

lol wtf is that

4 Likes

5 Likes

The away terraces are a bit of a shithole but it isn’t without a certain charm I suppose

3 Likes

As are most grounds at that level

Also, the Bernabeu is wonderful as it is and the concept art for the upgrade is appalling.

Thats horrendous.

4 Likes

Southend’s proposed new ground (tbf it’s been revised since then and now looks a cruise ship)

3 Likes