Sporting stadia

Championship grounds on the whole seem to fall into two categories; patched up old grounds and soulless newly-built stadia. There are also very few that make any attempt to provide decent facilities for away fans. Cardiff was OK(ish), but the best for comfort, accessibility, and facilities was Stadium MK

The stadium I most want to visit is La Bombenera

dims

6 Likes

Think asymmetrical ones are good, generally.

2 Likes

The home of Venezia FC seems cool

2 Likes

Neil DeMause is a great writer, written a lot of really good stuff on the scandalous way sports stadia are financed in the US including horror stories about cities slashing their library budgets to pay for new baseball grounds.

Best stadium I’ve ever been to is Centurylink Field in Seattle, as well as being architecturally fantastic the atmosphere is immense.

Never really understood the weird triangle stand at the Clink, what’s up with that? Would be good if it narrowed to literally one seat.

My beloved Old Trafford will remain asymmetrical for as long as possible hopefully

old_trafford_1396521c

1 Like

I really prefer symettrical stadia, or ones where the stands are all linked.

On a related note, I like how Lansdowne Road goes to just a few rows at one end.

download%20(4)

1 Like

Hillsborough is a great old ground (love a ground where you can see hills in the background, Huddersfield is similar)

1 Like

In NFL terms, I’d like to go to Lucas Oil, the windows always give it a kind of cathedral like vibe I feel

Indianapolis-1872530-1

download

6 Likes

Providence Park has ended up being a really weird shape because it’s a converted baseball ground.

1 Like

Used to like The Dell. Are there any other parallelogram stadia out there?

4 Likes

Me neither, for a city that gets as much rain as Seattle I’ve always struggled to understand the rationale behind such an exposed stand.

love the Amex stadium for completely unbiased, detached and unsentimental reasons

When I reach tier 5 on my procrastination ascension I sometimes sift through wikipedia for unusual football stadiums from lower leagues and other countries and daydream about having a kickabout there

This one in the Faroe Islands is a favourite:

12 Likes

Sporting grounds where the ball can end up in the water are always good

2 Likes

quite liked the Amex on my visit there a few years ago. also liked how i could get from Brighton to the stadium on the train for free cos I had a match ticket, made it loads easier to get to/from.

2 Likes

Have also been here Tone, went to see AC vs Lazio in 2005. Atmosphere was insane. Bought a shirt from the club shop and had Shevchenko on the back. One of my biggest regrets, should’ve had Rui Costa.

1 Like

11 Likes

Midfield engine

2 Likes