Spotify and infowars

Yeah need to work out the logistics of how Ditto’s service works.

Knew you’d have thought of it. :metal::metal::metal:

1 Like

I’m selfishly hoping Spotify come out with a full apology and pledge to rid their service of frothy mouthed conspiracy obsessed fuckjobs immediately just so I can continue getting a kick out of seeing my stuff on there.

If not jumping ship is obvs the right thing to do.

2 Likes

FWIW I sent them this email, cribbing a bit from @pichaelmarker

As a premium subscriber and label owner, I feel that I will have to pull both my subscription and my artists’ music from your service if you continue to host the Infowars podcast. Of course, I hope you will make the right decision on moral grounds rather than financial ones.

As well as denying the existence/scale of mass shootings in America, Jones has been responsible for spreading fake news which incites hatred and creates division within society. This is fundamentally at odds with the ethos of the Disintegration State label. Other tech companies like YouTube have taken the decision to remove his content from their platforms for precisely these reasons.

5 Likes

There was not, and this has just given me further rage.

What an absolute fucking cretin of a boy :angry:

Good to know they read the emails carefully…

Hey there Steve,

Thanks for reaching out to us and for the feedback. While we’re sad to see you leave the Premium party, we’re here to help with your request.

You can cancel your subscription any time. No hard feelings.

This will revert your account to our Free ad-based service after any remaining Premium time runs out. So you’ll still be able to log in, play tunes, and access your playlists.

Just follow these steps:
Click Subscription in the menu on the left.
Click CHANGE OR CANCEL.
Click CANCEL PREMIUM.
Click YES, CANCEL.
Note: Your account page now shows the date you’ll return to the Free service. We hope you decide to upgrade again!
If you’re unable to do it on your end, we’d be happy to process this for you. We’ll just need one of the following details for a quick security check:
PayPal Invoice ID. It’s the 10 digit code that starts with P0.
Merchant reference (you’ll find this on your bank statement)
The earliest Spotify payment receipt you have available (you can find this on your account page)
A screenshot of a Spotify payment on your PayPal statement
Note: Make sure the screenshot does not show your full credit card number, expiration date, or 3-digit code.
Once we have the correct info, we’ll be able to process this for you.

We’ll be looking forward to your reply. If you need anything else, let us know.

All the best,

[redacted]

2 Likes

:neutral_face:

2 Likes

Hi,

I feel like you probably haven’t read my email properly as this appears to be a stock response. Is anyone at Spotify taking the Alex Jones issue seriously?

Thanks,
Steve

1 Like

I didn’t even get a response.

Think this would’ve made me flip though.

2 Likes

Yeah, I know it’s a daft auto response but it’s not acceptable really is it?

“You have a daft right wing racist bastard powerclown broadcasting on your service”

“No problem dude, if you want to cancel, go ahead, we won’t hold it against you”

2 Likes

also not had a response yet

Nor me.

Gosh, who’d have thought Spotify of all companies would turn out to be amoral?

4 Likes

Does anyone know of anywhere you can save/transfer playlists? I’ve got 10 years worth I need to swap.

I haven’t used this for a while but worked well when I did.

Looks like I might need it again.

2 Likes

Apparently they’ve taken some of the supposedly more controversial episodes down but not all.

Not good enough. Tbh actually an awful response.

I’m not 100% certain of that but if accurate I think I’m out as any further action would only suggest a market response and not that they understand or care about the issue.

Christ, love the idea of someone having to determine the most controversial episodes.

2 Likes

Whole thing is so frustrating. Looks like they’re basically using the bar set by YouTube - i.e. a nod to it but not really tackling the issue head on.

Also learned about the way they are using fake artists to reduce the royalty costs of popular playlists yesterday.

Personally, I’m switching and am going to try out Tidal (would consider Apple music but they’re hosting all of Infowars still). I feel very conflicted about the label to be perfectly honest. Fully 95% of our streams have been from Spotify (excluding Bandcamp plays which pay nothing) which means we would be cutting out our main audience and limiting our opportunity to make a statement someone might take any notice of in the future.

Gah I dunno :slightly_frowning_face: Donate all my streaming revenue to groups who work against this kinda nonsense? FFS this world.

Yeah, this is a full “Will this do?” kind of response.

Basically, “okay, so if we completely get rid of infowars a bunch of super-right wing loons will cancel, but if we don’t then a whole load of other people will cancel… so… let’s just take a few down and see if that’s good enough.” No consideration for the moral side of things at all - entirely financial driven.

1 Like

If Spotify aren’t listening people should be pressuring their other shareholders. The big four labels own about 16%. Private investors account for about a quarter. Granted, these people will generally be pretty unscrupulous, but they might not appreciate the bad PR either…

4 Likes