Spotify and infowars

Tidal does a family account and apparently has the best sound quality.

I don’t know what Apple CarPlay is but according to this Tidal’s also compatible with Apple CarPlay: Tidal now supports Apple CarPlay - The Verge

And Madonna did that thing where she straddled the table when she signed that contract.

3 Likes

Well I’m now going to be in a weird position of having never used Spotify to listen to podcasts but leaving it because of a podcast.

At the moment i’m thinking Deezer but have no idea if they have podcasts or if they are evil. When I used them before they were just as good as Spotify and I only really went with Spotify because of the Sonos integration.

Or might just knock it on the head and see if bandcamp will cover me as tbh I’ve been using that loads over the last year or so.

gonna have to borrow a bunch of Kozelek CDs off my mate aren’t I

3 Likes

they charge double for the higher quality though

Content providers being gatekeepers of taste and decency is a shady path to go down.

1 Like

Bogstandard response but at least seems to be from an actual person

1 Like

Obviously not my place to tell you how to do things as a bystander, but if you do pull it, I’d look to stick up a “Why aren’t you on Spotify?” FAQ on a website or somewhere similar.

1 Like

Right now I’m leaning towards keeping it. Their response is better than Apple, no worse than YouTube. The whole system is amoral and I just don’t feel like we can play in it without Apple and Spotify. I want the label to grow big enough to have a political voice. Things like Lowering’s debut have that explicitly in track titles and Jacob’s record through his lyrics. We’re vocal on issues on the twitter. I’m not sure we can achieve that if we abandon those avenues in all honesty. Like maybe when we’re huge it will be something we can do to make a statement - right now, no one will notice beyond you lot really. I dunno, maybe I’m being weak on it.

8 Likes

Don’t view that as weak at all.

9 Likes

Cheers dude, appreciate that :slight_smile:

More a realisation that while the markets are dominated by the large companies skimming the cream, voices of labels like yours will go unheard, apart from people who support the label. Frustrating, but totally a decision people can understand and support

2 Likes

Aye, that’s why I went with “if”. I don’t feel it’s really my place to have much input on the decision itself as a bystander (albeit an interested one), but it’s certainly not a black & white choice.

1 Like

Agree with all this - what I’ve been unsure about within all this is where would we draw the line? Like you say, the whole system is amoral - is there any platform that’s free of this sort of stuff? I’m sure we could find something on Bandcamp that runs counter to our ethos (although admittedly probably nothing as profoundly damaging as Infowars)

2 Likes

Not sure where the line is really. I’ve cancelled my premium amd switched to Tidal fwiw. That made sense on a personal level. For the label, I guess we’ll see im due course…

Yeah I’ve slightly mulled this over - and I kind of think being on it and attacking the values of infowars etc is more powerful than sacking it off, all in a very small way of course

1 Like

Call your next release Infowars and cannibalise their searches.

7 Likes

Just cancelled my premium personal account, will probably take up with tidal

BAGSY! Perfect title for a MueseuM project.

1 Like

Dumped my premium and decided to use Google Play instead, but the evil prick is on there too. FFS.

I’ll just go back to not streaming music. I use pocketcasts for podcasts anyway.