Spousal income

Our plan is definitely to stay here over any moving to the US so it’s the most sensible thing for us to do - otherwise we’d be dealing with the same shite every 2 and a half years. Getting a green card seems like an equally torturous procedure - best of luck if you go for it!

It’s depressing as fuck isn’t it. On a fundamental level, policies like this aggressive chastise the poor but have no negative impact whatsoever to the rich. How can we live in a society where such a practice is accepted? It’s unfair in every way. How are more people not furious about this, where is the opposition?

The news is dominated by Trump/Brexit and the tories are taking the opportunity to have stuff like this almost pass under the radar… and it’s not going to be the last time this happens either.

Yep, yet you’ll hear countless right wing nutjobs claiming that this country is a soft touch and we let anyone in etc etc. It really couldn’t be further from the truth, no matter what the Daily Express might have you believe.

Isn’t it (and this is even worse) if there are children who are not UK born? Pure racism.

the absolute fucking state of this. Fuckers

"She is the latest victim of the government’s spousal visa system, which requires the British partner to prove earnings of at least £18,600 – and the couple being able to show long stretches of uninterrupted time living in the UK.

Clennell spent too long out of the country while looking after her dying parents in Singapore, which meant she lost her leave to remain. Her subsequent attempts to get a more permanent visa have failed and her last visitor visa expired last year. The Home Office said she lost her indefinite leave to remain in the UK because she spent time living in Singapore."

Saw this on Twitter.

Incredibly grim. Feel so helpless as far as politics goes these days. Absolutely noone holding the Tories to account in any meaningful way.

why is this being allowed to happen?

It’s appalling, really. I mean, we’ve spent years treating asylum seekers with incredible, dehumanising cruelty (just look at Yarls Wood), but instead of this practice being wiped out, it’s now being extended to people who’ve actually been here for years and have made a life here. It’s very depressing what a mean spirited, nasty country we’re being turned into and I do echo the above poster in feeling pretty helpless about it all.

1 Like

Because the British equivalent of the ACLU (is there one?) all went to Oxbridge with the Govt. & vote Tory ?

Because people are ‘just following orders’ ?

Because this

?
Because mixing capitalism + nationalism = fascism

I don’t know. Plain old fashioned racism + all of the above I guess