Spring 2018 Brexit Thread - Dooooooooomed

i feel like this will be the most likely outcome largely because of NI. it’s really the only way they can manage it without missing SOMEONE off.

if it wasn’t for the border thing though i feel like they’d probably be going full pelt down the hardest exit possible, the way they’re pretending to now.

I’m back to the shitting stage of Brexit

https://twitter.com/37paday/status/976590988452954112

:cry:

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/976964325029052416

1 Like

“Why DO you hate our country?”

Because it’s full of cunts like you lot

25 Likes

Brexit will not end with Brexiting - it will simply perpetuate in all Brexiteers minds and daily life an extending sense of entitlement, a refusal to accept any ideas or evidence that fail to match their own narrow preconceptions or internal logic and an absolute point blank refusal to be told what to do by anyone

their ‘victory’ will be a perpetual antagonism

1 Like

Tbf, we could make them in the UK, but then there wouldn’t be 350m a week left for the NHS anymore, and I know how dear that promise is to all their hearts.

Sovereignty Xylo, sovereignty.

(Notice how sovereignty doesn’t look like a word when you start repeating it over and over again?)

1 Like

I feel for you, really do

I’m also starting to worry personally about how it’s going to play out at the other end if the UK starts deporting swathes of EU nationals - my status as a Brit in an EU country is really unclear right now - with a Swedish wife & 2 Swedish kids I don’t really see how I can avoid taking Swedish citizenship …and is that gonna cut me off from my mum? Or the 100 or so relatives I have in the UK?

It’s all so unclear and I have ZERO faith in the UK Govt to be reasonable

…and if one more person says ‘yeah but you’ll be OK’ I think I’m gonna explode

Also, Swedish elections coming up in the autumn and with the SD (Swedish racist UKIP types) polling at close to 20% and clearly the 3rd biggest party* it looks like there won’t be any overall coalition majority unless the Swedish Conservatives form a coalition with SD…which has been entirely opposed by their party until now but for how much longer ? Voices high up within their party are becoming more and more open to the idea

feeling pretty low about Governments today

*some polls are showing the SD as the 2nd largest party, ahead of the Swedish Conservatives (Moderaterna)

I think that if the alternative is a Labour government, especially one led by Corbyn, the right wing press will present any deal as a victory and will keep as many of the details out of the public domain as possible.

Yeah, but you’ll be…

No seriously… it’s easy for us on Brexit Island to be glib about those who are British Citizens living in the EU. How the fuck the May and the EU couldn’t just agree to continuing free movement etc rights for all those already making use of them is beyond me.

there are about a million of us after all - and if you add that to our relationships with partners, children, employers, employees etc. that’s a fuck load of people. Likewise EU citizens in the UK

Less easy if you have relatives who are British Citizens living in the EU.

My completely unsubstantiated guess is that for both EU citizens in Britain and British citizens in the EU life will become more administratively cumbersome after Brexit, but that deportations etc will fail to materialise. Plenty of EU citizens will return to their home countries and fewer will want to come here, and that’ll be a problem for us, but of course there will still be just as much immigration/emigration as ever, for the obvious reason that that’s the way the world works.

2 Likes

‘cumbersome’ is a bit understated if the effects include lack of access to healthcare, education, representation and so on but there’s no denying that it wont stop people moving around - it’ll just make every waking moment a pain in the arse

1 Like

Yes, if those things happen then I will have called it wrong, and cumbersome will not be the right word.

[My mother-in-law is currently in a recovery bed in a hospital in Spain following surgery, so you could say I’m attuned to these issues at the moment!]

yeah this, the one thing I found off putting about the ‘my mum’ thread I linked to further up was how much it perpetuates the sympathy with the ‘good immigrant’ story and a kind of public manipulation of worthiness to be treated a certain way

2 Likes

send your mother-in-law my best wishes for a speedy recovery :heart:

1 Like

Quite:

and

Rainy fascist island delivers once again

6 Likes

lol

3 Likes

Brilliant move. Once the long game is up and he is revealed to be a secret remainer it’ll be even more of a surprise!

4 Likes