St Vincent

They’re available for photo opportunities only.

6 Likes

I concur! I love her guitar playing style/sound. :frowning:

Well I’m sure it was mentioned somewhere that this album would be a big departure from her previous works… maybe it’s all going to be piano led…

it’s a Yes from me, Clive.

i really like it. reminds me of her earlier marry me type stuff.

1 Like

Hello St Vincent fans,
As you may be aware, I’ve been a huge fan since her debut LP (wrote about it on its anniversary here: BBC Radio 6 Music on Instagram: "💍 Before the David Byrne collaboration, the crowd surfing, the seemingly endless acclaim, the TV performances, the signature guitar range, the A-list hashtag-squad; before all of that there was Marry Me, St. Vincent's debut album with a twirl in its step. Following stints touring in The Polyphonic Spree and Sufjan Stevens' band, Annie Clarke's first critically celebrated set of songs was released 10 years ago today. For all its Judy Garland garnish and Flaming Lips-ish sprawl, Marry Me has a deceptively dark undercurrent. It's a subtle shadowland that's alluded to more in its little Bond Theme shifts in tone than the lyrical winks to Parisian riots and Jesus Saves, I Spend's righteous escapism. In many ways there were a lot of early clues of the artist to come. Suggestions - perhaps more in in hindsight - that Annie Clark straddled both the fantastical world of Julie Andrews and pyrotechnic-lit land of Kiss. The latter came in the form of bombastic vocal gasps and snarling guitars pebble-dashed throughout a record that otherwise seemed very at home in the classic songwriting camp, filed neatly alongside acclaimed musicians at the time like Regina Spector and Rufus Wainwright. Marry Me was a statement of intent that marked Annie Clark out as a one-off artist in every sense of the word. Her songs spun art-rock with Harry Nilsson pop joy whilst hinting she'd imbibed just enough Jazz, blues, classic Hollywood soundtracks, and Bowie (she even got Mike Garson to play some piano on the record). It was a sound all of her own that at times meandered and then convalesced in magical ways. It's little wonder then that a decade later we await her 5th album with bated breath. — Sean Adams #stvincent #annieclark") and on Monday from 2-4pm I’m going to analyse her music taste/oeuvre for an hour, before making her a mixtape of music I think she might appreciate. Anything you’d like me to include?

You can listen in at http://www.sohoradiolondon.com

This is the monthly Drowned in Sound show, and I now pick a person I/DiS likes then act as a human algorithm, processing tastes and piecing it back together again…

Here’s last month’s for David Lynch

Here’s the month before for Hayley from Paramore

Before I fleshed out the concept I made one for Adam Curtis

I love her guitar-based stuff too (that fuzz tone!) but I’m well on board with a more piano or keyboard led approach. This was an instant favourite of mine as soon as I heard it after all and barely a guitar to be heard

1 Like

The show is available to stream on demand on Mixcloud

Tracklisting

Side A - Analysing Annie Clark’s taste palette

St Vincent - The Strangers
St Vincent - Teenage Talk
Brian Eno & David Byrne - The Jezebel Spirit
St Vincent & David Byrne - Lazarus
Fleetwood Mac - Sisters of The Moon
Sufjan Stevens - Now That I’m Older (feat. St Vincent)
The National - Humiliation (feat. St Vincent)
St Vincent - The Antidote
St Vincent - Prince Johnny
St Vincent - Marry Me
St Vincent - New York
LCD Soundsystem - New York I Love You, But You’re Bringing Me Down
Metallica - Wherever I May Roam
St Vincent - Marrow
of Montreal - Sex Karma (St Vincent Remix)
Chemical Brothers - Under Neon Lights (feat. St Vincent)
St Vincent - Digital Witness (Darkside Remix)

Side B - Our human algorithm makes a mix for St Vincent

Sharon Van Etten - Not Myself (Hercules & Love Affair remix)
Ride - All I Want (Glok Remix)
Do Make Say Think - Bound
Jean Michel-Blais - In A Landscape (Rework)
Lana Del Rey - White Mustang
Big Thief - Shark Smile
Nathan Fake - Degreeless
Mary Lattimore - It Was Late And We Watched the Motel Burn
Keaton Henson - You Don’t Know How Lucky You Are
Iggy Pop - Real Wild Child (Wild One)
Insides - Bent Double
Life Without Buildings - PS Exclusive
(Didn’t get time to play this: Cay - Nature Creates Freaks)

6 Likes

I saw her play solo at ABC supporting fleet foxes which was pretty great

Saw her on the last album tour at Glastonbury, Roundhouse and then Green Man. Brilliant live performer and it didn’t become any less enchanting the second or third time despite the scripted/choreographed nature.

Would love to see her solo again. Guessing we’re gonna have to wait a while until she reigns things in though? Although having said that a solo PJ Harvey show I saw with drum machines and loops was in several places one of the loudest gigs I’ve ever seen.

4 Likes

Oooh the new song had somehow passed me by. I like it! Not in a omg this is a massive jam way, more in this is promising for the direction of the new album way.

Saw her 4 times on the last tour and really really enjoyed it each time, I think the songs from that self-titled came across much better live (but I did like the album a lot as well), and I’m mad for when artists put a lot of effort into the choreography and staging of live shows and it works well. She played in Manchester Cathedral I think like the day before the album came out, and it was just such an amazing gig to watch so I kind of got this expectation that the album was this amazing once in a generation masterpiece and it ended up not being that so I was little bit disappointed with it, but still good (although I’ve not listened to it in a while and I still listen to Strange Mercy and Actress every so often).

Probably going to try to catch her live on this next tour, hoping she’ll bring back the band getting out the violin and clarinet and flute for The Strangers, seeing her perform that years ago when I had no idea who she was was what got me into her, amazing stuff (Latitude festival I think it was).

Mentioned it in the podcast episodes thread, but worth repeating here.

The latest Song Exploder podcast is St Vincent talking about New York. It’s really great.

1 Like

So she’s directing a film now, which is great and all I’m sure but ffs Annie just announce the new album!

New York has really grown on me, helped recently by that Song Exploder.

1 Like

Finally! Album announcement and another single:

New song sounds good, not exactly a massive departure from the previous album but its got all the St Vincent hallmarks in there.

1 Like

For a moment I thought the whole tracklisting would be cities/US cities

Not a Primal Scream cover alas

Keep reading the title as Masseducation. Thought she was embracing Dolly’s passion for the promotion of literacy.

I’ve still listened to barely anything off this new album. Looking forward to going in fresh (except for New York, which I listened to once)

I see that the commuters’ favourite free periodical The Metro has give this album 5 stars; if there was ever an endorsement to get me excited for an album, there it is.

1 Like