St Vincent

Urgh, the Brixton Academy is such a shite venue, absolutely ruined seeing Grimes for me. Think I might pop to Manchester, or even Brussels (I’ve never been)

That VIP thing is complete nonsense - I mean, c’mon, a photo opportunity with a guitar… haha!

yeah its a real turn off for me as a fan -

it should be about the music maynnnnnn !

Quite restrained and pretty, relies a little too much on the word motherfucker but hey ho. More interested/afeared how the rockers/high energy tracks get produced by this pop man she’s got on board but this doesn’t bode too ill

I like the verses and the ‘you’re the only motherfucker…’ bit is really nice (is that what a pre-chorus is?) but the chorus falls a bit flat imo.

Massively excited to see her again though.

I like this new track, it’s not a standout but a worthwhile addition to the catalogue. can’t wait for the new record

Agree with what everyone has said above - I like this, but it’s a bit of an odd one for her big comeback. Given her status these days I was expecting something a lot ‘bigger’.

Not trying to be edgy, just giving me two cents, whenever I hear a female vocalist on a song with really annoying melodies and/or production it’s ALWAYS St. Vincent. I think she’s my most disliked musician in the scene…still if anyone can point me in the direction of her less annoying shit I’ll give her another chance

“not trying to be edgy but I’m gonna say something that makes me come across as a total melt”

I’d suggest either the beatles greatest hits or radiothread. :wink:
Hey I thought her first record was great and it was the track Paris is burning that first caught my attention. I think she’s fucking awesome but horses for courses and all that.
And I thought her last record was her best.

Alright I’ll be that dickhead

WHERE ARE THE GUITARS ANNIE?!

It’s alright, I guess. I listened to it seven times in a row without noticing today so urm that must be good? Either way it’ll be interesting to see how it reflects the rest of the albums sound…

Speak for yourself

They’re available for photo opportunities only.

I concur! I love her guitar playing style/sound. :frowning:

Well I’m sure it was mentioned somewhere that this album would be a big departure from her previous works… maybe it’s all going to be piano led…

it’s a Yes from me, Clive.

i really like it. reminds me of her earlier marry me type stuff.

Hello St Vincent fans,
As you may be aware, I’ve been a huge fan since her debut LP (wrote about it on its anniversary here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BWW-uC2jjaG/) and on Monday from 2-4pm I’m going to analyse her music taste/oeuvre for an hour, before making her a mixtape of music I think she might appreciate. Anything you’d like me to include?

You can listen in at http://www.sohoradiolondon.com

This is the monthly Drowned in Sound show, and I now pick a person I/DiS likes then act as a human algorithm, processing tastes and piecing it back together again…

Here’s last month’s for David Lynch

Here’s the month before for Hayley from Paramore

Before I fleshed out the concept I made one for Adam Curtis

I love her guitar-based stuff too (that fuzz tone!) but I’m well on board with a more piano or keyboard led approach. This was an instant favourite of mine as soon as I heard it after all and barely a guitar to be heard

The show is available to stream on demand on Mixcloud

Tracklisting

Side A - Analysing Annie Clark’s taste palette

St Vincent - The Strangers
St Vincent - Teenage Talk
Brian Eno & David Byrne - The Jezebel Spirit
St Vincent & David Byrne - Lazarus
Fleetwood Mac - Sisters of The Moon
Sufjan Stevens - Now That I’m Older (feat. St Vincent)
The National - Humiliation (feat. St Vincent)
St Vincent - The Antidote
St Vincent - Prince Johnny
St Vincent - Marry Me
St Vincent - New York
LCD Soundsystem - New York I Love You, But You’re Bringing Me Down
Metallica - Wherever I May Roam
St Vincent - Marrow
of Montreal - Sex Karma (St Vincent Remix)
Chemical Brothers - Under Neon Lights (feat. St Vincent)
St Vincent - Digital Witness (Darkside Remix)

Side B - Our human algorithm makes a mix for St Vincent

Sharon Van Etten - Not Myself (Hercules & Love Affair remix)
Ride - All I Want (Glok Remix)
Do Make Say Think - Bound
Jean Michel-Blais - In A Landscape (Rework)
Lana Del Rey - White Mustang
Big Thief - Shark Smile
Nathan Fake - Degreeless
Mary Lattimore - It Was Late And We Watched the Motel Burn
Keaton Henson - You Don’t Know How Lucky You Are
Iggy Pop - Real Wild Child (Wild One)
Insides - Bent Double
Life Without Buildings - PS Exclusive
(Didn’t get time to play this: Cay - Nature Creates Freaks)