Star Trek: Discovery

What was so bad about Picard out of interest? I never saw it so have no idea how they seemingly pissed away all the goodwill towards it

1 Like

its hard to describe, just so incoherently bad. I actually really liked the first episode but it unravelled after that. really felt that they were trying to tell a topical story about right wing populism and intolerance that really didnt work in terms of continuity but also trek tone/style/convention so it was just really jarring, like seeing familiar trek characters in a different genre (nothing against them trying to tackle those themes but think they could have done it within the trek framework). the arc to the season about artificial life was vaguely interesting, but all the subplots were so low quality and schlocky, and coupled with really unjustified melodramatic acting really hamming it up. think the fact in terms of look and production values it was quite slick just made the whole thing seem even more stupid

3 Likes

Okay, that was good! Thought the bit with the lad on the abandoned space station was cool.

1 Like

The massive chasm in quality between the first episode and all the others was one of the most baffling things about it (and there were a fucking lot of baffling things about it)

2 Likes

Discovery has been renewed for a fourth season

1 Like

Me too but I guess it didn’t matter, they both went forward 900 years in the future. Woo.

Anyway, pretty good stuff. Certainly what I watch ST:D for.

I was really annoyed by the throw away line about dilithium crystals just exploding.
One, because it’s stupid and two, it’s going to be the over arcing plot of the season, and because this is Disco, it’s some how Burnham’s fault.

Otherwise I had fun.

2 Likes

I quite like it as a plot device, turning the clock back to like when people could only get places with long boat voyages. not really sure it makes sense though as normally in trek when warp engines fail it is like being completely stranded, impulse engines get you nowhere, which is fine they can just be in one place where stuff is going on but then it is not really a story about the future just one tiny little area, I guess they have wormholes and stuff, and I guess communication was still possible (edit: just remembered it wasnt, dont buy that mr federation guy at all), but still is seems like it should have been an even more drastic thing than it is made out to be.

i’d be wary if I met a time traveller from the past, I would fear they would go back and erase mine and everyone I know’s existence

1 Like

Finally finished the last 6 episodes of season 2 this week. I think it’s great. Good mix of spectacular special effects, made up clever nonsense and likeable characters (Pike <3). Just really well produced high budget entertainment. Definitely miles better than Picard, even though I enjoyed that to an extent.

Very excited to dive in to season 3 now, hoping for more Sonja Sohn.

2 Likes

S3E1 random thoughts:

I really like Book’s future material chunky knit.

Burnham and Book just killed a bunch of people, who, from the context, had the right to pursue them? Very casual.

Hope Burnham and Discovery are reunited quickly.

I guess rebuilding the Federation and solving the mystery of ‘the burn’ will be the focus of the show now. Not sure I’m that hyped by that.

1 Like

Really liked ep2. Was a lot of fun.

3 Likes

Yeah, if I had to issue with any of it it would be the incredibly lucky bit where the bad guy decides to inflict pain on Georgiou rather than killing her outright. Proper Bond Villain taking their time so Bond has time to escape stuff.

Otherwise it seemed good and fun and lots of the sort of character interaction that fans enjoy from the crew.

1 Like