tbt

1 Like

Extremely rude to be dismissive of others opinions like this imo

1 Like

i bloody love stuff like this

1 Like

Have they seen episode 9?

1 Like

very good point, iirc wasn’t empire strikes back ragged on att until the 3rd one came out and it was only later everyone said it was great

1 Like

Yeah I agree there was good stuff in them. Now we’ve got past the whole, “they ruined my childhood!” takes that were dominant at the time it’s not a controversial opinion that they had a lot of decent ideas and individual scenes. But the execution was so weird and wrong headed. Beyond the rubbish scripts the trouble was imo that Lucas seemed more fussed with Lucasfilm being at the cutting edge of visual trickery than he was with making stuff look, y’know, good. It all looks weirder with each passing year, and the stuff he insisted on adding to the original series now often looks more badly dated than the original fx.

The trouble with the new trilogy is we’ve had one director who wanted to play things incredibly safe and one determined to tip over the apple cart. We’re never gonna agree on which was the right approach but I think we can both agree having them both doing their thing back to back hasn’t quite worked. Unless the next film ties it all together. Seems a stretch but tbf I’m excited to see how it all shakes out

2 Likes

This is the Star Wars thread! We can’t have reasonable points of view in here!

2 Likes

ONLY A SITH DEALS IN ABSOLUTES

all the prequel films are bad films made with huge imagination. All the new trilogy films are good films made with minimal imagination. Basically depends on if you want a MasterChef level menu made by an amateur or a Margherita pizza at the top of its game.
3 Likes

TFA just about scrapes a good film for me, some might argue that TLJ is way too long with a pointless side plot, with the most tedious central chase, for it to be considered a good film

1 Like

Wait… are you saying you DON’T rate TLJ??

4 Likes

I think the prequels are better inasmuch as they are actually unique and memorable, the outcome of giving a giant hermit manchild complete carte blanche over billions of dollars’ worth of content and logistics. As opposed to machine-made by a factory complex intent on disgorging as much committee-tested product into the market as possible before its nostalgia value has been completely exhausted. TLJ had a halting go at breaking out of the self-imposed strictures governing the product, the board will have noted the shit-fit the fans threw over it, and they won’t be doing that again - safe and slavishly deferential to the originals will be the rule from here on out.

They aren’t good, but I think I’d actually prefer to watch Phantom Menace again over Force Awakens because I’ll get a good chuckle out of the former whilst the latter will slip right through me like a plate of microplastics.

5 Likes

Nah, he’s saying it is amazing but he can understand it has its detractors.

1 Like

Oh wait, when I said I preferred the Phantom Menace over The Matrix looking back, weren’t YOU the guy who banged on about how it was utterly terrible to even think of liking a racist hot mess like Phantom Menace over The Matrix.

You were.

And you were right.

Let’s stop this revisionist nonsense right now. TFA is not a racist mess, quite the opposite, therefore it wins hands down.

2 Likes

You made this conversation up in your head, Theo. Don’t bother linking anything, I have no time for your doctored accounts.

3 Likes

I don’t think having the appropriate amount of respect for the source material and doing something new are mutually exclusive, TLJ has its critics because we feel it ‘subverted expectations’ for the sake of it rather than to create something genuinely new and interesting, it was a bad film, the response may have been very different if it had been good. Plus it wasn’t that new, almost every scene and setting has an equivalent.

Hope they do play it safe in future though, new isn’t necessarily better, the whole basis of genre is endless iterations of basically the same thing

I can’t imagine how boring it must be typing this exact thing out for the 50th time.

1 Like

Posts like yours keep making out people who don’t like TLJ are at fault, I will always respond to that, I’m bored of posts like yours too

I mean it is the same old thing isn’t it, people who like TLJ have the ‘good’ traits of being able to appreciate something bold and new, those that dislike it have the ‘bad’ position of only wanting to be spoon fed fan service. Firstly it is a false framing that does not allow the possibility for people to just think it is bad, secondly it is a generalisation, I had considerable appetite for new directions (would have much preferred a more complex universe rather than the rebel/empire rehash) I just think that past films do impose some basic limitations (which are not self imposed, just natural when continuing a story) which TLJ ‘subverted’. Thirdly even if the generalisation were true, so what? What is wrong with making a film that appeals to the familiar, new isn’t inherently better, appreciating the new isn’t inherently better, craft is just as important. Seems like appealing to the novelty seekers just goes down well with people who will say it is the best Star Wars then not even vote for it as a top 100 film of a 19 year period

Don’t respond to it if it bores you! It’s not your fucking job to criticise the Last Jedi! People know what your opinion is, you’ve stated it ad nauseum here, it’s taken as read! For someone who gets upset about being pigeonholed with the neckbeards who chased that actor off Instagram, you sure do have an utterly obsessive mentality about winning an argument about a nerd film on the internet.

2 Likes

Bwahaha