Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (Spoilers from Dec 19th)

I think the Star Wars story committee messed up by deliberate ignoring 40 years of extended universe stuff. That’s stories and concepts from novels, comics, RPGs and video games. I bet there are loads of plots and ideas that would make decent films.

2 Likes

weird that weve still got almost a year and a half to wait for it innit. stupid solo being released at such a stupid time. yeah it was shite but it would have been better at the end of the year

If you strip away the ray guns and spaceships, Solo is a standard coming of age cowboy film from the 50s and 60s.

yeah, shite

1 Like

Should just be Rey and Kylo hooking up for half an hour or so then having a bad breakup then Rey being the Baddy and Kylo being the goody

2 Likes

Well there are six more films to come (Rian Johnson’s trilogy apparently won’t focus on the Skywalker Saga or its next phase) but who knows if Benioff/Weiss will do 10, 11 and 12 perhaps?

1 Like

Think TFA and TLJ were pretty weak overall, some good bits and good ideas but the basic retreading of a plucky band of rebels vs a powerful evil empire held them back, especially given how it didn’t naturally flow from the end of ROTJ. There’s an interesting dynamic between Rey and Kylo but I don’t really see where a third film goes from here to come up with a satisfying conclusion. Maybe if they somehow come to realise the Jedi have been a malignant force in the galaxy and bin the lot off, but then you still have a the First Order / Rebels shit to untangle. They wasted Snoke, Finn and Poe are pretty boring, and the original trilogy characters have been fairly badly used (and Fisher’s death hasn’t helped them to solve that either).

1 Like

just gonna chime in my with my usual post that I think SW episode IX will be a fun and entertaining family film set in space. All the other disney wars films have been fun and entertaining family films set in space and I’m pretty sure this one will be too

11 Likes

Lando is Finns dad anyone?
JJ Abrams to undo the Rey is no-ones kid thing and make her the daughter of someone important after all? Daughter of wee lad from Rebels maybe?

1 Like

This will happen and it will be a bad move

3 Likes

An anagram of Kylo Ren is Rey Koln.
Rey was Germany the whole time #makeuthink

2 Likes

And we’re off…

2 Likes

He’s mad going on Twitter

I think he’s only activated it just for this kind of thing - I followed him yesterday afternoon (upon seeing this tweet) and he had less than 600 followers, which struck me as strange for someone who courts a lot of fans/media interest. Now he currently has over 38,000 followers. I get the feeling he’s only going to use it to promote/market the film rather than engage fans etc (he’s currently following no-one).

Expect it will be entertaining but not a lot else with JJ back on board.

Needed another director to flip reverse it.

They’re mindblowingly incompetent, inert and come out with teeth-grinding soundbites. They’re evil if you think the Democrats are.

1 Like

I’m really unsure about this Leia stuff. For one thing, she was happy for them to create a CGI version of her in Rogue One which also included a near perfect Peter Cushing. When we compare to other media where they’ve had to work around this, e.g. The Sopranos and the final Hunger Games film, it’s been necessary to use some kind of clever work to write out a character.

I guess I don’t understand their whole “we will use no CGI” like it’s somehow a noble thing for a film series like this? Unless Billie said no categorically after but, again, Rogue One would make that seem a bit of an odd thing, no?

So I’m struggling to work out how they’ll resolve her story satisfactorily with only leftover Last Jedi footage without resorting to extra. Unless they’re planning to do a Colin Baker’s Doctor’s death scene type of thing with body doubles.

(There’s also in my mind a small aspect of her having survived the big explosion at the start of Last Jedi meaning killing her off isn’t going to be as easy to write.)

I reckon they’ll go full Jim Henson and make a Leia animatronic puppet.

4 Likes

Can’t get my head around people saying this. It looked like something out of a Timesplitters cutscene.

10 Likes

The best way to include Leia and not have some terrible uncanny valley monstrosity would be to have her appear as a hologram projected by R2 sending some final message of hope to the resistance. IT’S LIKE POETRY. IT RHYMES.

8 Likes