Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (I'm not even on StarWarsBook, mate)

Not sure if this one got posted way back but actually had some new thoughts I’d not read before

OH NO!

1 Like

I felt Brin’s Hilter = Vader analogy was flawed because Hitler = The Emperor and I am a believer in the Timothy Zahn thing that his Force power helped to make the Empire’s amry/fleet efficient. In this case then it should be an evil henchmen (Mengele?) who kills Hitler and takes out the communication network to end the War early, and happens to save his son in the process. This is a more accurate weighing of the situation.

Moreover (and to be fair, Brin’s thesis is very long I think and this guy’s taking small bits so maybe it’s covered) this example would have Mengele dying in the process so really we’re reevaluating a bad person after death and often we do act differently. Mengele would always be seen as terrible by the majority though.

What I liked about this article was how it presented lots of ideas not that it necessarily stuck behind one of them. Lucas’s notions are good about compassion vs selfishness. But I think the Elites thing is spot on regarding the Jedi. It’s meant to be why the Empire fails but crucially the classic three films are about restoring that system or thinking about it which isn’t a good thing.

So I like TLJ because it’s acknowledging those elites let us down and we should forge a new path.

1 Like

That clone slave army, though.

I mean the original idea that there were Clone Masters who fought the Jedi made sense. I have no idea why Lucas thought this reworking was a good idea.

2 Likes

My recollection of AotC is it’s bad because they shouldn’t have an army not because using clones is morally bad.

1 Like

The second Cartoon makes them seem like cool soldier guys.

It’s odd when you consider it.

1 Like

So, I’ve now caught up with the thread. (I don’t think I’ve posted this already)

Finally got around to watching this about 6 months ago. I had heard all the reviews and went in with an open mind. I’ve always loved SW, but not gone beyond the films, so know nothing of the EU.

First thoughts. Weird jarring humour. Mary Poppins Leia was just weird. I wasn’t that impressed, and was about to stop watching at the fathiers bit. But then it got better around the Snoke/throne room bit.

Watched it for a second time last week and something about it just worked better. Maybe the rubbish humour didn’t jar so much, and I could just relax into the whole thing. The hyperspace crash silent scene is just amazing. Mark Kermode mentioned it in his TV series.

So yeah, very interested to see what happens in IX. It could make or break the whole thing, if it’s done well, I think much of the TLJ shortcomings will be forgiven, if that makes sense.

My other take away from this thread is I really want some of those weird Chinese SW comics too.

3 Likes

Similar feelings about the humour although I noted when watch TFA the other night that Poe does have a similar line of crap humour when facing Ren. Works much better there though. I think maybe I really don’t like Domnhal (sp?) Gleeson’s acting.

1 Like

Oh, I found one moment genuinely LOL funny though. Where they kicked a bin over to disguise BB8. I think because my memories of OT/ANH are tied in with shots of the death star and those little black robots scuttling around. So it was just that one scene that made me honestly crack up.

1 Like

It’s really just that opening joking that I had issues with

2 Likes

Yes, exactly. I think I said, ‘what the fuck?’ as it started.

1 Like

The opening scene with Poe does do my fruit in, I don’t think I’ve ever known anybody online or IRL to say that actually liked it. My main issue though is the flight sequence more than his jokes (although those jokes are p bad), the way his X-Wing skids around and does backflips and shit just make it seem OP and super-powered, which takes away the visceral sensation of flight and by extension any jeopardy that scene would have. Most vehicles in Star Wars move in a way that gives you a sense of their weight and the limitations in the way that they move, the Death Star trench run scene was even rotoscoped over footage of IRL planes. Poe’s X-Wing in that scene just seems like it can do anything, completely weightless. Also not a fan of BB8 just sticking his head into the electrics as well, it’s an ill omen for how BB8 in The Last Jedi is a worse version of prequel R2-D2.

I actually liked it tbh. Though at least 60% of that is seeing Ade Edmondson in the star wars universe.

And I do agree with your complaints about the way the x wing moves. He’s supposed to be a legendary pilot not some kind of affront to the laws of physics.

Ah, yes that articulates it really well. Not so much the humour, the ‘type’ .

1 Like

It’s the complaint about the film that I agree with the most by a mile.

2 Likes

Someone mentioned the look of the throne room (I think). And for me it was a strange retro feel. Just the plain backdrop and not much more reminded me of cheap ass looking Sci Fi like Buck Rogers or Flash Gordon. But it kind of worked in a minimal way.

5 Likes

Flash! is the best looking sci-fi film of all time.

2 Likes

Nah fucking great m9

3 Likes

I refer you to my previous comment

1 Like

The red backdrop in Snoke’s patio room is magnificent, some of the great set design of our time. Master stroke having it burn down around them as well :kissing::ok_hand:

7 Likes

Just watched this again.

Such a great film.

8 Likes