Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (I'm not even on StarWarsBook, mate)

starwars

They might lose some hardcore fans, but they might also gain a lot of new ones. A lot of films I loved as a child are seen as boring by modern children. Times change, attitudes change, films reflect that.

Yeah but normally I would have seen it several times, preordered the steel book and bought an expensive bb-8 toy by now

Yeah but I guess they would prefer to have both

Last time I also bought a millennium falcon drone

Children need adults to buy everything for them and go everywhere with them. Loads of people who absolutely fucking hate Star Wars and Disney, go to their films and theme parks because it makes their children happy.

It won’t bother Disney if adults say they don’t like the film, because they will still have to buy a ticket to please their children, and then buy all the merchandise for xmas.

I’ll bump this when johnson’s trilogy is cancelled, if it doesn’t happen within 6 months I will accept I’m wrong and rewatch tlj as penance

You may well be right, but if it happens I think it will be more because Disney are very twitchy and controlling than because TLJ was a bad film.

It’s not a great film, but (#controversial) then none of them are.

Fixed

Tlj is one of the top 10 grossing films, I think Disney might be happy enough with that :joy:

I don’t understand this view, it would probably have had to be in the top 10 grossing films of all time to break even, given the success of TFA and it being a star wars film it was guaranteed to do spectacularly well by normal standards automatically, I still think disney probably had super high expectations that it would do even better, especially after securing such glowing reviews, there has been a significant backlash which will have translated into less money one way or another, and they would always prefer more money to less given they are a big corporation with shareholders to please and forecasts being made etc. It is nowhere near being a disaster, but I think the reaction will have been enough to make disney question whether they took the right approach

Is it just me who enjoyed the start of the film with Poe and Hux? I thought it was funny, and very quickly shit got real when the bombers came in.

it was funny up until the last line

the ‘your mum’ joke? I can’t remember exactly how it was worded.

yeah it was something like “Tell General Hux I have an urgent message… for his mother”. Would have been better without that bit

Looks like this isn’t true, just remember Lucas saying something like this about TPM assumed it was a similar type thing (but even TPM that doesn’t seem plausible)

I think Hux is possibly the worst ever SW character tbh, worse than Jar Jar.

after watching this video I have started to feel fond of jar jar, unfairly maligned

I hated that whole bit. It was like Austin Powers taunting Dr Evil. Also hated the death star ironing board scene for this reason. Just make Spaceballs 2.

Looper is a great sci-fi film, I wonder how much interference Rian Johnson had from Disney to make his story marketable.

I’m all over the place with this film. I don’t think it’s as bad as I’d heard but i feel it’s definitely average. The things that stick are the visuals. The bombing run, the hyperspace attack, the AT-AT shots on the salt planet were amazing. Couldn’t give a fuck about the characters.

It’s not so much the dialogue at that bit that I disliked (although it wasn’t great) , I just couldn’t stop thinking that he wouldn’t have got through to Hux like that.

Like flying into Nazi Germany and radioing in demanding to speak to Himmler*.

*tbh, this is the kind of nitpicking that I find irritating when other people do it, but there you go.

It just fell flat for me. I’ll be interested to see if it sits better on a second viewing.