Statues in your town

Statues are hot news right now (rightly so, not trivialising anything), so what’s your town, city or hamlet rocking?

The only ones I know of in Nottingham are for Robin Hood, Jesse Boot, Robert Juckes Clifton and - especially cringeworthy - Brian Clough (no, really).

Just this one from the nursery rhyme I think

6 Likes

That’s a good statue tbf.

Oh yeah, we’ve got a cannon in the arboretum.

1 Like

My current town: we yeet our statues into the Avon

My home town:

The Steelman. Not much of a story to the lad, it’s just a steel town. Corby FC’s ground is called Steel Park too (obviously should’ve been called The Furnace ffs)

6 Likes

Haagse harry

15 Likes

my hometown finally erected a statue of Flann O’Brien a few years ago outside in the library in the town square

13 Likes

Mate, what the fuck is that?

Most public statues are bullshit - rich men or nameless token women, their placement is political as well as the choice of who it is and honestly they should all be scrapped. Except for that cartoon character one in Glasgow.

11 Likes

Brno had this lovely horse

and if you stand underneath it, this is your view…

26 Likes

This would be good if it weren’t for the man of war riding him.

Scrap the man, keep the penis horse.

7 Likes

Yeah, the fact that we have a statue of someone who managed a football team for a bit and it’s right in the middle of town. It’s fucking ridiculous.

Thomas Waghorn supposedly came up with this new route from Britain to India but the latest thinking is that he was a bullshitter

a motto for life

8 Likes

There’s that bear at Woodthorpe grange too

1 Like

Ooh don’t know about that one

Clough is the only Nottingham statue I remember seeing. I have no problem with statues of really good football managers tbf

2 Likes

Seems a bit low effort to earn a statue though. Someone from Nottingham invented ibuprofen ffs.

We’ve got a few

George Vancouver

King John!

Frederick Savage (Victorian fairground maker)

1 Like

We’re getting Gandhi statues everywhere (around the world) soon as part of some nonsense vanity project. I sat in on a meeting about the Manchester one and the council agreed to foot the bill (somewhere between 70-90k), they’re despertaly trying to attach meaning to it (and keep that figure secret) by placing it near Manchester Arena, i presume to bolt on some Arena Attack meaning when in fact they were happy to pay and place it anywhere as they’re cosying up to the man running the project and they only started to plan an actual tribute to the arena attack victims about 10 months after the Gandhi agreement.