Statues in your town

King John looks like he’s in a Cher video

4 Likes

No real statues of note (small town) but we do have a large rock painted like an eagle.

23 Likes

Hometown has a very problematic one I’ve mentioned in other thread. They should tear it down and put up a Pat Jennings statue imo.

My new town has this nice statue called Johnny The Jig dedicated to a boy killed in a car accident in the 50s.

4 Likes

Our village doesn’t have a statue. But a big beautiful oak tree had to be mostly cut down because of a disease. Everyone was gutted but the good news is that a wood carver is going to turn the trunk into a statue of a quarrymen. I’m quite excited about this.

1 Like

In football terms, what Clough achieved at Forest was unprecedented and borderline miraculous tbf.

7 Likes

they also erected a statue of a huge pig from one of his books outside the theatre next door, which @anon45164313 might prefer

7 Likes

alright they DEFINITELY deserve a statue, I pop the stuff like Smarties.

Not on topic, but is the Wimpy in that really horrible shopping centre still open? The shopping centre from which you can enter the quite good caves. For some reason I’ve had two meals there.

1 Like

I thought he was doing a wanker gesture for a second

2 Likes

Sorry, I should stay out of this thread but I’m very anti-public statues (unless they’re nice art works (though I guess that’s public sculpture) but all the stuff of merit gets inevitably “put into storage” and all the depictions of war mongers and wrong 'uns remain)

2 Likes

it should only be a matter of time

13 Likes

Groningen has a horse with a big bum

6 Likes

I don’t know of any statues but there is a sculpture trail

Me too, when my joints are bad. I’d be fucked without ibuprofen.

That wimpy is sadly no more. :sob:

1 Like

I do! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

even though the fella doesn’t have a face you can tell how proud he is of the horse’s bum, fair play

4 Likes

But it’s only football

1 Like

owh, there was a lovely old fella in there who took such great pride in his work, it really touched me. Hope he found a new fast food restaurant to work in.

The only one I could really think of in my town is one of these. On top of one of the war memorials, I actually really like her (used to live near her park) though can’t find a photo that does her proper justice - she looks excellent when the light catches her torch just right.

5 Likes

https://www.clarebigger.com/wp-content/uploads/20160527_135221.jpg

Just this 4m tall anonymous gallowglass warrior

4 Likes

Can I just post William Mitchell murals and friezes in here instead? Besides my avatar I mean

Let’s hear it for post-war abstract concrete art. Hip hip hooray!

5 Likes