Steely Dan Listening Club

Can I just say I really like listening to Steely Dan? Cheers!

8 Likes

The backing vocals are the secret sauce and most important element of Steely Dan, just makes you elated to hear when the chorus comes in every time

2 Likes

We are on Katy Lied this week, let us know what you think!

1 Like

I’ll pop it on in the morning and then gather my thoughts

1 Like

i often think it’s my favourite Dan album. will type more thoughts tomorrow but leave you with the best gif ever:

6 Likes

my gold teeth II is one of the greatest songs of all time, easily my fav dan song. as ive laid out many times on dis

Probably not my favourite lp but some absolute beauties on here most notably gold teeth II and chain lightning which on occasion may actually be my all time favourite.

Chain lightning is so goddamn smooth. The first couple of times I heard it, it drifted over me and I thought it was about a band playing a gig but then when you hear what it’s supposedly actually about, just makes it a quintessential dan song with those melodies and strange subject matter

4 Likes

i think going through this exercise has proven my thought that my favorite dan album is whichever one im listening to at the moment.

2 Likes

I do have that but I think that the royal scam is probably my favourite. Maybe not so many ‘peaks’ as the others but I just find it so enjoyable from start to finish.

3 Likes

@NeilYoung gwan babe

1 Like

Ahh didn’t feel there was much fan fare to the club. But in all honesty the cool kids hang out here. I’ll get it back going Sunday. :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Back by popular demand (probably just me and Mert :rofl:) it’s a new album this week folks. Up next.

(Released in May 1976, The Royal Scam)

4 Likes

There is some serious funk on this record.

1 Like

One thing that’s always annoyed me on this record is Fagan’s mispronunciation of Oregon on “Don’t Take Me Alive”.

green earrings mannnnnn

purdie really was the :goat:

3 Likes

that talkbox! also one of my favourite lyrically

2 Likes

and Denny man, shreds on this track.

1 Like

I NEVER KNEEEEEEWWWW YOU
YOU WERE A ROLLER SKATER
YOU GONNA SHOW ME LATER

TURN UP THE EAGLES THE NEIGHBOURS ARE LISTENING

3 Likes

Another great album. It’s always seemed a bit of an outlier to me - there is more of a natural progression from Katy Lied to Aja, but The Royal Scam is a bit less smooth, less finely wrought, a bit more rocky, than those two records.

Contains Kid Charlemagne, which to my mind is the absolutely perfect Steely Dan song and one of my favourite songs ever by anyone. Also The Fez, which is both ridiculously funky and hilariously good fun. The Caves of Altamira, Green Earrings, Everything You Did and Sign in Stranger are really strong too. There’s not really a bad song on it. It perhaps doesn’t hang together quite as well as the records either side of it.

Should also comment on the fact that it has what Donald Fagen accurately called ‘the most hideous record sleeve of the seventies’.

3 Likes