Stereolab. An appreciation and discussion thread

Sneaked out for a tote. Curse you @BMS1

2 Likes

I won a small amount of money on this bet I had on the women’s football. I’ll buy another mug on the way out.

1 Like

What did @jack_on_fire and @roastthemonaspit make of tonight? Which other DiS-ers were there too?

I thought the gig was brilliant. Great fun. The sound levels were great. I cheated and looked up the setlist and so it wasn’t a surprise and knew I was going to enjoy it. “Big hitters” like Ping Pong and Lo Boob Oscillator meant more now as an oldie than hearing them live for the first time.

Quite a few people took photos/videos during Ping Pong, fair enough, I’ve no problem with that. I was watching it all while reminiscing of sitting on the floor of my parents living room in 1994 as a 18 year old with headphones on listening to Ping Ping played on BBC Radio One Evening Session. Where did the years all go? (I’ll have a can of Red Stripe from a dustbin and tell you sometime).

I hope you both had a brilliant gig.

It was great meeting you @roastthemonaspit

2 Likes

I enjoyed it but I preferred the Primavera show and this was entirely down to the crowd. I only got there half way through VT so was stuck at the back and there were so many people talking. It was good to hear Blue Milk and the Extension Trip, neither of which were played in Barcelona.

Very jealous of you, both going to Barcelona also seeing them there.

I think that’s why I almost exclusively go for level one at SBE. It’s “less” rock and roll but has people like me just sat there without talking loudly.

1 Like

If able please post a pic of your Stereolab mug !

I bought a (subsidised) red mug with my football winnings.

I would have bought a box of the four if there was such a thing on sale. They all looked great. Stereolab, you missed a trick.

2 Likes

I almost bought the red one!

1 Like

Hi.

I enjoyed that. Nice mix of “the hits” and slightly more obscure stuff. Was in the standing section about 15 rows from the front on the left and it sounded mighty fine. The view was less than perfect, but that’s the SBE’s fault.

Did not buy any merch, obviously.

1 Like

That’s a great pic.

Your view was almost certainly better than mine. I hope you had a great time. Any good pics?

No pics taken.

Should have made the effort to check in with fellow Dissers. Was solo on Level 1. Enjoyed it. Band sounded great. But as is often the case, was mildly irritated by the lack of crowd involvement. But perhaps that’s just London. Or me. Still, great to see a great band performing superbly. And Thurston Moore was there. Tho no one seemed to recognize him.

1 Like

Part of me loves reading these reviews, and part is very jealous.

1 Like

Gig sounds ace - hope you guys all had a great time. Can’t make any of the gigs so I hope they carry on. Tim never seems short of musical ideas so who knows maybe…maybe…

I think I wore band t-shirts pretty exclusively from ages 15-24 and haven’t done so since but i have proper shopping lust now - basically would like a T, a tote and a set of mugs.

So, do they play Wow and Flutter?

Also, must get me one of those mugs somehow.

Re Merch…my friend just posted this on Facebook

1 Like

No Wow and Flutter unfortunately.

2 Likes

Ta, at least that means I can trust the set list I saw :slight_smile:

Been trying to work out what else they’ll drop for a reduced festival set.

Yep! Same. Just going to try put it out of my mind till then…

1 Like

Not super-familiar with their stuff beforehand, but I enjoyed that. Thought it started off a bit weak, but by the 4th song I was on board and “Metronomic Underground” was brilliant. Sound was fine, and being near the front, I avoided most the chatterers that apparently plagued the back.