STFTSB: Discuss the nighclubs of your youth ITT.

As inspired by this Guardian article.

2 Likes
  • Metros.

0 voters

I worked in our local nightclub in Clonmel, Dannos. Absolutely standard for this sort of place, totally dark inside, seemed like they only served vodka and Red Bull or WKD.

There was a balcony over the dancefloor that an acquaintance jumped off after starting a fight with the bouncers. His friends carried him out of the club as he’d broken an ankle!

This post paid for by PROF$.

2 Likes

Funkman’s comment inspired this really.

Honestly regret spending so much time in these places and will kiiiiiind of be glad if they do decline.
They were just bleak in every sense, the tired and dated music (even by like 2008), the unnecessary dinginess considering they weren’t exactly warehouse raves, constant threats of violence and palpable despair.

3 Likes

For a second I thought you’d linked to photos of it as it looked when it was still open!

1 Like

Only the one club in the South Hams. Used to open Fridays and Saturdays but in the summer Tuesdays and Thursdays too. When I was 17/18 and then again when I was back from uni for the summer we used to go 4 nights a week unless there was a foam party. Pretty sure the music was the same every night (some dance classics, Summer of 69, Fatman Scoop, the Baywatch theme tune etc) but I knew some people that worked there so very rarely had to pay to get in. They used to run a bus there and back from Salcombe in the summer that was absolute mayhem and a lot of fighting between posh holiday people and locals.
Also I started going there when I was about 15 and we discovered that you got a free bottle of champagne if it was your 18th birthday. By the time of my actual 18th birthday I’d used that line so many times for free champagne that they gave me an extra bottle for ‘getting away with it for years’.

The lattice fries at Fusion were a level above anything I’ve had since.

1 Like

All the ones I was ever in where phenomenally shit. Just havens for brutal macho behaviour. There was nowhere to go for a late drink in Clonmel so we all ended up in the roughest nightclubs, often in absolute fear that someone would think you were looking at them the wrong way.

1 Like

Mostly just enjoying remembering provincial club names, like “Liquid” and “Infernos”.

2 Likes

The necessary pain you needed to endure to keep drinking til 4 :smiley:

1 Like

Stevenage had “Pulse” and “Vogue” and down the road in Enfield was “Eros”

1 Like

Our Monday nights in Wakefield used to follow this route - get to Bedroom for 7pm (bouncers got on the door at 8) as it did pints for £1 and shots of sambuca for a £1. Stay there till 11 when the indie club Zone opened. Get in there till the end. Go home with change from a 20

1 Like

Aberystwyth had/still has pier pressure, that was, yknow - on a pier

Also one called yokos that was far less interesting so it was weird to go to uni in such a one horse town

5 Likes

There is one of these in London (Clapham). Been once. Queues around the block to get in and absolutely rammed. Once inside was literally the same as any shit provincial nightclub I’d ever been to. Just couldn’t get my head around how popular it was. Surely one of the best things about living in London is that you don’t have to go to places like that any more?

The key bit here is

2 Likes

YES

4 Likes

I went there once to see my mate who was at uni there. There was a kebab shop called Aberkebabra.

2 Likes

The finest Irish fast food chain.

5 Likes

Storm was shite so we’d rent a minibus and go Mosh

There’s actually like 50+ pubs or something ridiculous, although half of them will only serve you in Welsh, and to be fair to the place the kebab shop game is unreal. There’s one place called lip lickin chicken my pals still go to whenever they go up to visit

2 Likes