Stockport

Uh…

I really, really like Stockport. Only went for the first time yesterday and

• sick magazine shop
  • solid cocktail bars
  • cool fancy lookin restaurants (didn’t get to try ‘em yet)
  • it’s on a big hill
  • the buildings are a pleasing mix of eras
  • people there are well nice

If there’s a downside it’s simply the amount of places that have gone bust I guess from pandemic.

But yeah. Do YOU love Stockport? I do.

3 Likes

People who I know also enjoy Stockport: @Scout

People who I know who seem on the fence: @andyvine

2 Likes

There’s a few Stockport disers about - won’t out them in ITT thread, but one of them invited me to join their fun football game, and it’s got a massive viaduct, too! What’s not to love?

3 Likes

Yeah there were some absolutely class overpass bridges going on too. Genuinely had the charmingest of times

1 Like

Where The Light Gets In is the second best restaurant I’ve ever been to, and I’ve… Not been to many.

5 Likes

Never been, nice Disers live there i believe.

2 Likes

@Scout recommended this to me too!

1 Like

i love the viaduct and the market hall. i would like to visit the air raid shelters. everything else is just fine. i used to live in heaton moor and used to work in the bus company office underneath the viaduct. that’s it!

3 Likes

Stockport also still has a functional left wing group in the local Labour party, and has a good bunch of MP, and the Hat Museum, which I’ve still not been to.

2 Likes

Used to be a shit hole turned it round in the last 5 years (probably longer since my time skills are cocked to fuck) is my basic reading of Stockport

1 Like

The Magnet is one of the best pubs in Greater Manchester

10 Likes

Well now I want to go to Stockport!

1 Like

Their football team hates Burnley’s. For odd and complicated reasons. Not really been into the actual town enough to have any particular strong opinions though it seems close to nice countryside in the Peak District, Cheshire etc.

2 Likes

everyone on here who says they’re from Manchester is from Stockport, they’re liars

6 Likes

Though my next door neighbour fell asleep on a Manchester-Stockport night bus in 2007 and got trapped in their bus depot all day.

2 Likes

It’s Britain’s biggest “town” isn’t it? Has a quarter of a million population but bigger than many “cities” (as in places with cathedrals)

1 Like

they say this about loads of towns. can’t be true for all of them.

my dad told me Bolton isn’t allowed to be a city because we executed a minor royal in the middle ages and the gentry are still annoyed about it

1 Like

i used to live with someone from stockport who was obsessed with uma thurman

4 Likes

i too have woken up in the bus depot, although this was about 8am

1 Like

First away game I went to was at Stockport County. The railway viaduct is magnificent and I like that big chimney you can see too.

I like it.

4 Likes