Stranger than things 2: The strangening

I mean, the Beyond thing was worth watching for the audition tapes, and for the Duffer Bros faces when someone makes a comment about D&D. But not within seconds of the end credits rolling, for me. Because I just wanted to scoop Eleven up at the end of the series and still had all the warm and fuzzies from the closing scenes and then…annoying teenage girl.

She’s great

3 Likes

How so?

Dunno, not sure I buy her understanding the concepts of love and lust etc so quickly, the only indication I guess is from her tv watching but I don’t remember there anything important there (also just found it a bit sickly I guess)

The scene where she sees “Papa” is very odd too because we accept that Kali can do (Jedi) mind tricks - akin to Luke seeing Darth Vader in the swamp - but the fact that he says some future plot points suggests she can get right into Eleven/people’s subconscious which again there’s no previous indication of (at least in Star Wars Yoda is a master). I guess if it turns out “Papa” has these skills too then it could work, but it just seemed like yet another clunky jump.

Her stuff with Hopper/mama was really good though.

In fairness I thought this too…it was pretty jarring

2 Likes

I mean we are all agreed that episode is a mess and only really exists for that one scene and that Eleven has some humility/wants to use her powers for good anyway right. These are important of course but it’s handled a little clumsily (which is my real complaint about the series)

I think there is a decent chance that the writers introduced the new characters to begin a Heroes-style direction for future series. Hopefully, the universally negative reactions put them off that idea

2 Likes

The one scene being where she finds how to get the power to close the gate, you mean? It’s in there also (apparently) as a sort of pilot for what S3 will bring. Messy as, though.

2 Likes

OH yeah when I was watching at the time it felt very clear it was setting up next season

2 Likes

Apparently the x-men episode was a backdoor pilot for a spin off show.

1 Like

She is a normal teenage girl, “annoying” is part of any teenager’s traits.

Think the thing that surprised me and didn’t know was that she has a super posh British accent IRL but she is a great young actress so fuck it.

So I heard, they’re going to need work pretty fucking hard for anyone to give a shit about it

But Eleven isn’t, which is why I warmed to her so much in the series.

You’re aware actors often portray characters that aren’t like them irl right

1 Like

13 Likes

This is brand new information!

Yes. I’m just saying, watching the round the table thing immediately following the last episode was a bad move as I found her really irritating in real life.

Just started on the first series. Properly brilliant how they’ve got all the characters so spot on compared to the classic eighties buddy movies. Feels like a sort of ten hour Goonies/Stand By Me. The themetune’s great as well.

Not sure about Winona Ryder.

2 Likes

so we’re all agreed this is rubbish now then? jolly good.

2 Likes

Oh Bob :cry:

12 Likes

Not sure why I just saw this, and it’s been a little while now, but…

The whole side-plot with Jonathan and Nancy was very Pixary in the way it went about the relationship (Wall-E/ beginning of Up especially), but maybe I was just expecting that due to knowing that it was one of the Pixar guys… I dunno.

2 Likes