Stranger Things

Watching episode 5 now. Love the massive Pine Barrens reference.

Finished it last night. Absolutely brilliant, much better than S2. A much needed change of setting and some great new characters while reflecting the change/development of the existing ones really well. Some Home Alone 2 levels of suspension of disbelief as to how some of them are still alive, obviously, but that’s all part of the fun.
Really think S4 would need to be the last though, there’s only so many times these people can keep getting into these scenarios without it getting a bit tiresome.

1 Like

Not reading the thread for fear of spoilers, but just finished Episode 4 and I am just having such a blast. It really rediscovered a sense of fun, properly channelling Goonies vibes.

2 Likes

Finished S3 on Friday and I loved it. Was so much more fun than S2. Steve and Robin were so great together.

Not sure how I feel about a 4th season right now. I mean, if it promises to be as fun as S3, then I won’t question it. Presumably, it’s going to end up in a Gremlins-esque holiday season extravaganza (the already hinted at reunion of the core group), but I can’t see how the monster in Russia and the “American” are going to join them. Also, a much longer break than a year or so and those child actors are going to start feeling really unconvincing.

1 Like

I guess they might make S4 when they’re all about to graduate high school and part ways

Think the major theme of s3 was about how the characters are “growing up/coming of age” so I think they’ve got this covered

1 Like
15 Likes

Just a lot of fun isn’t it. Can’t be bothered engaging or scrutinising it on a much deeper level cos that doesn’t really seem the point.

Hopper’s speech at the end with the ambient/pianoy music sounds like a post-2014 Mark Kozelek album closer

6 Likes

I found the second half of the season more enjoyable than the first half.

1 Like

Going to be the party pooper and say I didn’t like it much, other than Robin and Winona Ryder. The whole “communism is bad and Russians are evil” was so boring and annoying and all the product placement really annoyed me. I find Mike and Eleven’s relationship really uncomfortable as she’s still so socially immature.

It’s a bit corny having Soviets as the bad guys I guess, but it’s not like American powers that be have been portrayed as all wonderful over the three seasons to date

Isn’t “the Russians are the baddies” just another 1980s movie/culture thing? The whole series is a fun patchwork of 80s culture and Russia was the bad guy in pretty much every 80s action movie.

I’m sure Red Dawn even gets directly referenced by Dustin when he and Steve are looking for a Russian spy in the mall.

5 Likes

I know it’s supposed to be a reference to red scare tropes but I thought it was boring that it was played so uncritically. I know it was necessary for the plot, but it was cartoonish that a bunch of teenagers could overpower them so easily.

2 Likes

That’s totally fair.

I think I’m willing to be far less critical of it than most TV shows because it’s always had a bit of a summer b-movie kind of vibe and I’m just along for a fun, nostalgic ride.

By now they all should have died about 20 times over so :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I think this show’s becoming like Black Mirror for me: I feel compelled to watch it because there are always a few good bits but mostly it’ll be quite average if not actually bad.

3 is the best season imho. Really, really enjoyed it. So much fun

2 Likes

The only way Murray and the guard laughing could be bettered is if Konstantin from Killing Eve was there laughing with them

5 Likes

There must be a YouTube compilation of Konstantin’s laughs