Studio bits left in songs

Bubbly by Colbie Caillat came on the radio at work not long ago and I got stuck on the left-in studio bit at the beginning where she asks “Can you count me in?” Then I thought about the bit in the beginning of Adele’s Send My Love where she says something like “Just the guitar part ok cool.” These both seem a bit unnatural, but then I thought about Thom’s counting with no regard to proximity of the mic on the beginning of Polyethylene (Pt 2). Is that silly too? What are your spoiler[/spoiler] examples of studio bits left in songs?

This fuck off, over produced by Martin Hannett, take four

4 Likes

‘Yeah, mine were alright, it won’t my best one but who cares’
‘That’s the spirit’

13 Likes

Shall I bother trying to this one properly? God I got an attitude ain’t I

2 Likes

Lo fi badly recorded acoustic (even by their standards), studio door creaking … into the full band explosion

3 Likes

You can hear Ross Robinson slap Daryl a couple of times on this album like at 2.06 here

I like it when it’s something said on the fly.

I don’t like it when they’ve obviously said something with the intention of leaving it in, like Billy Corgan’s “this time…don’t give a fuck”. No way he’s that cool.

I’VE GOT BLISTERS ON ME FINGERS.

3 Likes

He is!

edit: agree with the sentiment though overall. Think Big Thief are guilty of it on the new album.

1 Like

First one I thought of. Classic.

Fucker

The yelp and kerfuffle 55 seconds into this was Hooky sticking a snowball down Bernards shirt

5 Likes

What’s Up? Make Love?

4 Likes

If it counts, I’ve always liked Kiedis’s “and I’m sailing” at the start of Suck My Kiss

5 Likes

I don’t think it counts, but I always liked it.

Generally I really like when authentic studio bits are left in songs.

2 Likes

Jagger’s ‘woo!’ during Merry Clayton’s bit on Gimme Shelter

Don’t like it at all when an artist fake laughs before the song starts

Warhol. Warhol. As in holes.

5 Likes

Feel Good Inc must piss you right off

3 Likes

Dun de dun dun.
Dun de dun dun.
Fuck.

Far from the worst example of it tbh

I suppose we’ve reached a double nadir with the example of Ryan Adams discussing Morrissey albums at the start of ‘To Be Young’.

2 Likes