Studio Ghibli

Last night I watched Princess Mononoke for the first time. I’d never seen any of the Studio Ghibli films before. Wow. It’s incredible.

Please hit me up with some other recommendations for the best Studio Ghibli movies.

I really wanted to see a couple of Ghibli films they were screening at a cinema near me, but the screenings were at absolute dickhead times (either too early in the morning, or too late in the evening). Luckily they do seem to get screened fairly regular, I feel.

All of them :+1:t2:

In which case this could turn into an expensive habit.

The Red Turtle from last year was a collaborative effort with a french studio I believe but do not let that slip through your fingers. S’beaut.

Don’t think I’ve seen one that wasn’t worth watching. Obvious choice but Spirited Away is something pretty special.

Mononoke is the best, for me. Just amazing, beautiful, perfect.

Nausicaa of the valley of the wind has similar themes and is great. Laputa, Castle in the Sky, too. Spirited Away is a classic and My Neighbour Totoro makes me cry a bit, but is extremely joyful. Then watch the rest

I’ve only seen Mononoke, Spirited Away, Howl’s Moving Castle and Ponyo but they were all spectacular. Which one shall I do next please?

:thinking: it’s been so long since I last watched any of these. Like over ten years. I think howls moving castle was probably my favourite after princess mononoke.

Totoro and Grave Of The Fireflies double bill - how they were meant to be seen…

The Wind Rises is quite long but very beautiful.

ponyo-ham-gif-6

Oh man, I’ve opened Pandora’s Box here haven’t I - I really am going to have to watch loads of them.

I’ll try and do that this week!

Grave of the fireflies is a bit much for me

That was a slightly sarcastic answer from me.

Both films are amazing, but I do feel for anyone who went to see them in their double bill screenings when they were both released - it will utterly break you if you watch them back to back.

How come?

Relentlessly sad. I kinda felt like they tried a bit too hard

There are ‘only’ about 20 of them. You can often get them bundled up into various DVD box-sets and in sales.

If you have young children, do not watch Grave of the Fireflies.