Studio Ghibli

I’ll always go for subbed first, but as mentioned the Ghibli dubs are pretty good

1 Like

The style of animation feels really wrong with English audio to me - had the same issue with the recent Zelda game, which is why I was glad they added option for the Japanese dub before I got a copy.

Another vote for My Neighbour Totoro here. Lovely stuff.

Pretty much can’t go wrong though aye :slight_smile:

3 Likes

didn’tmean that to be a reply colinzeal but i hope you enjoyed it.

2 Likes

I don’t have a problem with the dubs. With stuff like Ghibli, it’s always a trade-off between the original voice acting and being able to fully appreciate the visual art imo.

Obviously I’ve only seen one, but I watched Princess Mononoke dubbed (I wasn’t feeling very subtitley last night). I didn’t perceive it as an obvious dub to be honest - it worked really well (Claire Danes, Minnie Driver and Gillian Anderson).

1 Like

I did.

1 Like

Yeah I’d be fine with the dubs if that was the only change they made, but I think they add more background sounds and change the score in places. Which takes away from the original intention of the film much more than a different voice cast IMO

i’d watch The Simpsons if I wanted to watch cartoons

Hm, I really don’t think it’s something you notice unless you know the films inside out

Probably, I just really liked how “quiet” Valley of the Wind, gave it a very unique feel. And would have been a shame if that was changed.

Can’t believe nobody’s mentioned The Tale Of Princess Kaguya, absolutely breathtaking stuff there.

Any of Takahata or Miyazaki’s work is guaranteed masterpiece, all the others a very good, only Tales Of Earthsea isn’t worth your time.

Dubs from the 90s onwards are usually decent (although Ponyo dubbed is offensive to the ears).

2 Likes

Though it pre-dates Ghibli, Miyazaki’s The Castle of Cagliostro is great and is on Netflix

4 Likes

Brilliant. Thanks!

1 Like

I prefer the subbed versions, although that’s just a personal preference.

1 Like

as good as Arrietty is, its just their take on the borrowers, so Id put that lower on your list.

Also this on ‘How do you live?’ set to be released in 2020…

Miyazaki is working on the film for his grandson as his way of saying “Grandpa is moving onto the next world soon but he is leaving this film behind because he loves you”

:sob:

1 Like

That precis. Jeez.

1 Like

Love pretty much all of them, other than Pom Poko and Panda Kopanda which were both a bit hmmm.

Do enjoy the gratuitous racoon balls in Pom Poko though.

3 Likes

Nice balls.

1 Like

Love this Letterboxd review for Totoro:

14 Likes