Studio Ghibli

Ooh. I might watch this today.

Think I need to give Pom Poko another go. Also never seen Princess Kaguya so need to keep an eye out for that one.

1 Like

My screensaver is a slideshow of stills and production art from Porco Rosso, absolutely love it, criminally underrated.

3 Likes

My sons asked for his ghibli themed room to be redecorated :frowning:. Tbf, it has been 6 years, but still

37 Likes

Personal top 5 are:

Mononoke
Nausicaa
Totoro
Spirited away
Laputa

But they’re pretty much all great. Only ones i dont really like are howl’s and whisper of the heart.

1 Like

Anybody want to talk about how Naussicca and Mononoke are the same film but still both unique and wonderful?

Oh also, I wish more of Miyazaki’s manga was translated and published here. I have the Naussicca box set, and it’s one of my all time favourite comics (and I read A LOT of comics).

As well as the obvious frequently mentioned ones here, I love Howl’s Moving Castle a lot. It’s popped up a bit but there doesn’t seem to be much love for it. It’s marvellous.

1 Like

Kiki’s delivery service is one i really like that doesnt get mentioned much.

7 Likes

You cracking out your old Loaded posters?

1 Like

Nuts, obv.

1 Like

Big fan of Only Yesterday too. More like an Ozu film than usual Ghibli fare.

3 Likes

Ooh, I really like The Wind Rises too. Incredible film, absolutely stunning.

2 Likes

I love Whisper of the Heart, I think it’s their most underrated. Mind you, I’ve always been more lukewarm towards Princess Mononoke than most people

These are pretty good: essays, interviews etc

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HAYAO-MIYAZAKI-STARTING-1979-1996-Starting/dp/1421561042/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1529575792&sr=1-9&keywords=ghibli

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HAYAO-MIYAZAKI-TURNING-1997-2008-Turning/dp/1421560909/ref=pd_sim_14_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=1421560909&pd_rd_r=40d7b9d1-753b-11e8-b46d-09ce8d654fc8&pd_rd_w=dJYRa&pd_rd_wg=ZAyCP&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_p=3274180622111699416&pf_rd_r=MYYZW6AYVC54DRPRFABV&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=MYYZW6AYVC54DRPRFABV

1 Like

Think take me home, country roads pushed it over the edge for me.

1 Like

These look great. I’ll pick them up when I’ve seen a few more of the movies.

1 Like

thewarn watching Logan Lucky:

‘This film is pretty good…argh not that fucking song again’

1 Like

What nooooo. He’ll regret it massively in another ten years time

*I don’t know how old he is. When he’s in his twenties, he’ll regret it.

Watched Spirited Away last night. Incredible. Visually stunning, exciting, threatening in places, very moving, and so, so original.

Will get another one on next time I have the place to myself.

7 Likes

The Barbican’s cinema played this around my birthday last year, so I got to see it there. Such a lovely film <3