Stuff that you don't like it when people say it because it explains the thing that you already knew about

Ftfy

Ha, I hadn’t noticed that about al dente - the only time I’ve ever heard it mentioned without the obligatory definition following it was on Ren n Stimpy (where coincidentally I heard it for the first time)

Hate rugby. Absolutely cannot stand it. Still better than NFL though. Genuinely do not get UK people watching it.

Why would geography have anything to do with liking a sport or not.

2 Likes

I can just about understand watching NFL if you’re American. The anthems! The beef! The culture. Hoo-rah! But if you’re not actually American?? Why? I genuinely do not get it. You watch American films, you follow american politics, you listen to American music but that’s not enough? You need to follow American sports too? Why? I genuinely do not get it.

I think that NFL is objectively boring in itself (and I used to live in the US and I’ve been to live games and never been so bored) and I cannot see the appeal if you’re not brought up as part of that culture. UUUUURRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHH.

If I were to get into any non-mind sport it would be NFL or basketball, because the strategy is closer to strategy board games than most other sports.

2 Likes

This is like saying why would you like sushi if you didn’t grow up in Japan, it’s meaningless, I like watching American football in and of itself, not because of its cultural contexts. If you find the actual sport boring, fine, I find cricket boring, but I’m not perplexed or upset by other people enjoying it.

3 Likes

Heh I’m totally out of step with the boards on this one, I guess.

I suppose it’s working with young people in schools I’m hyper conscious of a rush to embrace any and all US stuff “because America” - non-uniform days are a mad blur of New York Yankees caps and T shirts and JUmpers with the stars and stripes as decorations (actually stars and stripes leggings and trousers are growing in popularity too).

And yeah, it bothers me. Especially at the moment the rush to celebrate any and all things (even the bloody sports) connected with the US seems mad. I know this sounds a little bit Brexit, I’m not saying everything should be tea on the village lawn with the vicar, I think that we should embrace cultural elements from the world and that means not just the UK and also not just the US.

Don’t worry, it is obvious that American Football is only for MASSIVE CHODES

1 Like

Last point on this and then I need to move on with my life.

Your sushi point is entirely fair enough on its own, but:

-if you only watched Japansese TV and film
-if you only listened to Japanese music
-if you followed Japanese politics to the point where you barely knew what was going on in your own country or anywhere else
-if you obsessively followed Japanese sports and ate Japanese food

At this point someone would be entitled to say, “you do realise there’s a whole world out there right?”

“Michael likes American things now”

2 Likes