Stuff that you're surprised that people get really into

I’ll start: penoid card games LOL.

Obviously people can like whatever they want to like and the internet means anyone can reach their people but there’s still some stuff that makes you think “…really?”, isn’t there.

Like: mechanical keyboards. I learned yesterday that there are certain PC types that are really into mechanical keyboards and how superior they are to pleb ones. They have Opinions about the switches (red type? blue type?? other???). They get different key sets so they can pop off the old ones and replace them with a different set of keys. And of course the backlighting. My god, the backlighting.

It’s serious stuff:

8 Likes

Worked with a guy who was really into cycling and the amount various bike related things weighed. He posted on a forum about it and everything. People would buy seat posts and do things like strip the paint off or whatever and post the weight (all done on proper balance beam scales, obviously). Was weird as he used to drink pints everyday and ate quite badly, so I expect the gains were negligible,

Travis.

Still baffled to this day about that one. Surely at best you could say they wrote pleasant background tunes?

4 Likes

Oh man, there’s a guitar pedals thing I watch on YouTube and at the end of the video he does a “record of the week” and The Man Who was one of them. He absolutely gushed over it.

I’m similarly baffled at anyone having strong opinions about Travis. Total nothing music.

5 Likes

A weight weenie as they’re called. The worst

1 Like

Running

10 Likes

Car concours. There was a guy in my hometown who was the British champion or something. Just basically a hobby that boils down to keeping your car REALLY clean. Like dismantling bits of it and polishing them.

Those keyboard makers are going to get eaten alive in prison

5 Likes

Drum n bass
Running
Conservatism

1 Like

Dumb stuff that I don’t like.

16 Likes

i feel attacked

1 Like

That site is called weight weenies I think,

I was once looking through some CVs and someone had ‘lichen’ in their interests, that was quite surprising. Maybe they meant that sexy lichen…

5 Likes

Golf, cricket

2 Likes

I saw Travis headline Glastonbury when I was 15 and they were phenomenal. Or at least they were to a 15 year old who didn’t know much about anything. Proper got into them off the back of that. Some great b-sides around The Man Who too

1 Like

that’s a good one. seems like there’s a whole bunch of people really into niche effects pedals and obscure amps and whatever, trying to nail “the perfect sound”

none of them write music or play in a band or anything, they just want their bedroom setup to be just right

4 Likes

I am surprisingly sympathetic to those people.

8 Likes

Instagram and the like is full of people who just collect loads of examples of one pedal, like own 20 tube screamers or 30 big muffs - presumably spend their time just endlessly comparing tiny differences between each one. Bizarre

1 Like

“oh yeah, the gain on this one is just that bit warmer”

is it, aye

8 Likes

The Smashing Pumpkins

7 Likes