Stuff you like about other cultures

Keep it non patronising

• the Dutch and their bullet-pointed emails make me extremely happy. It’s the right way to email your business matters. And make your threads

• the french slam on the brakes during the cheese course and tend to only discuss cheese. It’s a reverent time. ‘Once, in 2005, I had this Morbier that made me weep’ etc etc

Now you

8 Likes

I was at a very posh party in France once and they had brought in a cheese man who had a table with about 50 cheeses on it. I asked him to recommend one and he just said “they’re all nice”.

32 Likes

I mean when they’re right, they’re right

I really like the black church culture in the states, it’s so joyous and seems like a wonderful thing to have in one’s life. I really appreciate the roots as well when you consider the history of black people in america and how even basic rights like the right to worship was denied

14 Likes

Yes! It is also an exceptionally friendly culture. I ended up hungover as balls in New Orleans and was welcomed in to listen to a Sunday choir, then got given mad good soup broth after

5 Likes

That ringing sound at Japanese level crossings is so cool

3 Likes

italian food packaging.

2 Likes

In Uganda they say “You’re welcome” as a greeting when you enter a premise as opposed to being a response to “thank you”

I like that.

13 Likes

they also have a different tune for every tube stop, so if you’re vision impaired (or hammered) you can associate the tune with your home. it’s very, very helpful

3 Likes

yeah that’s very cool, like bienvenue

1 Like

I like how in many cultures people will touch their heart with their left hand after shaking your hand/greeting you in some way.

2 Likes
  • I’m really not a food-sharing person, but I do like chinese restaurants and their massive lazy susans, giving everyone a taste of every dish.

• Love it when the french forget who they are for a bit and out of nowhere bring out the cheapest, most paint-strippery scotch they can find and guzzle about a bottle each.

• Ridiculous Apero buffet things in italian bars.

all of mine are food and booze aren’t they?

3 Likes

Here we go

1 Like

Here we go!

Fuck sake I literally just turned down a cheeseboard I really wanted for the sake of my waistline and now I’m remorseful.

1 Like

they’ll talk about that refusal at their next cheeseboard, held without you

Fuck this I’m going back out

2 Likes

I like how germans dig holes in the beach

6 Likes
  • When you get on a train in germany and a massive group of lads on a stag, or on the way to the football gets on with crates and crates of lager. they get a bit rowdy, but when they get off someone is always designated to collect all the empties and clean up.
8 Likes

is your cheeseboard out in the street?

1 Like