Stuff you like about other cultures

have not been in france for 48 hours and already have a sudden tummy on me. stupid calories-lurking-in-alcohol-and-cheese-and-bread

This is happening to me in Spain rn.

1 Like

then as long as we use each other as the comparison, it’ll look like we’re not growing

I like the colourful hard boiled eggs they have in Switzerland. Just think they’re neat.

1 Like

Perfect if i can still hold my phone at enough of a distance by Friday I’ll sync up selfies with you

1 Like

I like how in Taiwan (and other East Asian nations, but this is where I first experienced it first hand) people are generally considerate enough to wear masks if they’ve got a cold instead of sneezing all over everyone. It’s nice.

8 Likes
  • Service stations in Switzerland- nicer than four star hotels in the U.K.

• French men being generally happy to drive bashed up old cars even if they are quite well off

• Women in the Netherlands cycling around town centres whilst holding an umbrella with one hand and doing their make-up with the other.

• Scandinavians not closing their curtains in the evening - what have I got to hide?

4 Likes

This is a nice one, I’m not religious at all but they often look like they’re having a lovely time

2 Likes

Souqs/souks/bazaars are my idea of heaven. Even if I’m not looking for anything in particular, I just adore wandering round taking everything in, gazing at the myriad goods for sale, the animated chatter, the aromas from the food stalls, haggling over a potential sale… simply bliss.

1 Like

I like that if you buy a beer in like a corner shop in Germany then the person will offer to open for you.

5 Likes

in Bedfordshire the bins are much bigger

13 Likes

I love how passionate canadians are about hockey.

3 Likes

Having just come back from a trip to Holland:

Trams as part of a functioning, thought-through public transport infrastructure. Love a good tram. Along with proper bike lanes everywhere. Turns out it’s nice to be able to easily get around from place to place, who knew?

10 Likes

Love this about pretty much anywhere in Europe, tbh

2 Likes
  • I did not realise this was specifically a Dutch thing
  • I will never be able to go back to my previous style of overly verbose “no worries if not!!” textbook U.K. emailing
  • I will be thinking about this all day
6 Likes

Most helpful thing at Japanese stations: the little diagram that tells you where to enter the train so that you’re right opposite the exit of your destination station.

1 Like
  • In Italy, how everything shuts down around lunch time.
  • I guess on a similar note, siestas in Spain
  • In France, general attitude to work (commute is part of your hours, right to disconnect, striking properly and often).
5 Likes
  • Cultures where burping is seen as a sign of respect/having enjoyed a meal
2 Likes

I like in (I think specifically) Dusseldorf where loads of pubs just have one beer and its the only thing you can have, and the waiters just come round taking empties, refilling them and bringing them back. Then they strike a line on your coaster and at the end of the session your bill is just the number of lines x the cost of a beer.

Generally German beer culture is pretty cool actually. Good blend of silly, loud and happy while staying largely respectful

12 Likes

No small talk in Finland

2 Likes