Sufjan Stevens

New Carrie and Lowell outtake here from new outtake album The Greatest Gift.

4 Likes

He’s just fucking brilliant isn’t he

11 Likes

Already expecting to enjoy this more than most other “proper” releases this year

New song is gorgeous

1 Like

Absolutely fantastic, how can this be an outtake?!

Surprised this album/mixtape doesn’t feature ‘Mystery of Love’ from Call Me By Your Name, as it certainly sounds like a C&L song.

1 Like

wow. Just wow. Love the outro. Love all of it.

1 Like

This is lovely, amazed is an outtake really

Oh wow

Ohh, looking a bit further into the Call Me By Your Name OST - it comes out on 27th October! https://www.piccadillyrecords.com/counter/product.php?pid=118499

1 Like

The Call Me By Your Name soundtrack is up on Spotify etc just to say

Really reckon he’s going to be one of those songwriters people look back on as the best of this era and not given the proper plaudits

6 Likes

I think he is pretty unanimously seen this way, no?

When we do look back on the early 2000s, I think a more diverse selection of songwriters will be heralded, to match the way tastes are going, but Sufjan will still be king of the folkies.

1 Like

:0

edit - dunno why that starts half an hour in, but the whole thing is incredible

1 Like

Yeah I think him and newsom are pretty widely considered as the top dogs post-2000. And rightly so

4 Likes

Yeah, I think they’re both almost peerless in the folk genre

1 Like

Can’t imagine him doing what he does and being any more popular to be honest. He literally had one of the most universally acclaimed albums of the 00s. His last album, about his mum dying, was top 10 in the US and UK. He had Kanye tweeting about his album. For what he does, he’s massive and critically adored

2 Likes

Yeah this is largely true but on a few occasions, mainly found on Age of Adz, he stretches it as far as he can (“I’m not fucking arooouuuoouuund”), which is the best he can do, I guess.

1 Like

I think he’s actually been overtaken by Father John Misty in recent years as America’s foremost acoustic solo artist.

No longer on board because of this line.

1 Like

FJM is huge atm, granted…but I wouldn’t say he’s contributed enough yet to be one of the current greats. Pure Comedy is fairly mediocre, too.

1 Like