Sufjan Stevens

I voted C&L but Michigan, Seven Swans and even The Avalanche are all amazing.

1 Like

Adz, Illinois, c&l and seven swans are all 10/10 imo. Michigan not far behind. Youā€™re in for a bloody treat mate

10 Likes
  • (In D major)
  • (In Eb major)

0 voters

Haha. I went to that very gig on my own. Drove all the way up from Newbury, Berkshire. It must have been a Saturday night.

Totally agree, top 5 gigs Iā€™ve ever been too. No one to discuss it with after. We should have hooked up! I ended up drinking in some random indie club by myself afterā€¦

I only just discovered Sufjan Stevensā€™ music in the past year. He played in this city in 2016 but at that time I had no idea who he was; the name was just one of dozens of names that go in and out of my head when reading about current musicians, so I did not take the opportunity and I missed out on the experience.

So far I only own Illinois, Carrie & Lowell, and the Planetarium thingy, but I have a feeling more will be added. And the soundtrack from ā€œCall Me by Your Nameā€ is just wonderful. Not all of it is Sufjan of course.

Three of my favourite musicians are Stevens - Cat Stevens, Steven Wilson, and now Sufjan Stevens.

1 Like

most underrated Sufjan song:

(also the first one i ever heard)

How do you people describe Sufjan Stevensā€™ music to someone who has never heard it? Iā€™ve had this problem lately. I find myself saying something like "sort of folky, sort of notā€¦ a bit pop, a bit progressiveā€¦ ", and then I think if someone had described it to me in those terms before I heard it, would that have led me to expect it to sound like it does? Probably not.

I know genre labels are not supposed to matter, blah blah blah, and in the last analysis I guess they are not important, but they can sometimes help when describing certain music to another person, so that the person at least knows whether itā€™s worth their while seeking it out and listening for themselves.

Itā€™s a difficult one as he plays about with genres. I would definitely describe him somewhere under the folk umbrella, because even the Age of Adz has its folk-y moments.

By the way, what exactly is ā€œAdzā€?

The Age of Adz is a reference to Louisiana artist and self-proclaimed prophet Royal Robertson, whose work appears on the albumā€™s cover and liner notes. A paranoid schizophrenic, Robertson translated his anguish through apocalyptic sci-fi posters after his wife left him following nearly 20 years of marriage.

thanks - but I still want to know what ā€œAdzā€ is. Do the letters stand for something?

I have tried Googling it but cannot find any reference to ā€œadzā€ except in the context of this album.

I think itā€™s a term made up by Royal Robertson and I think it refers to some imagined end times scenario. Though itā€™s difficult to Google. Possibly The Age Of Adz was the name of one of Robertsonā€™s pieces or his collections, maybe even the name of the artwork on the front of the album?

I donā€™t think itā€™s an acronym.

Havenā€™t really answered your question but maybe Adz = end times?

Thanks anyway. maybe thereā€™s a clue somewhere in the lyrics, which I have yet to peruse.

All Day Zumba

14 Likes

That does sounds pretty apocalyptic, tbf.

1 Like

The Devil Wears Spanx

1 Like

ā€œI mean the ā€œAdzā€ is really a misspelling of ā€œOdds.ā€ Thatā€™s taken from [Royal Robertson], he has all kinds of text in his work, and his visions are all written out in this messy script. He was a sign painter for a living before he was an artist, and his signs became double entendres, messages that had dual meanings, because of all the misspellings and grammatical mistakes. The Age of Adz is reflecting the subconscious, free association way of thinking that happens when youā€™re not censoring yourself. Royalā€™s work is very much about impulsive free association, and the lyrics on The Age of Adz also follow that.ā€

• Soup John Stevens
1 Like

As far as Iā€™m concerned, Stevensā€™ song is a no-brainer to take the award - but of course Iā€™m not on the judging panel.