Sufjan Stevens

That gig is the moment I most want to relive. More of a regretful thingifanything asin I really regret that I didn’t know the album the way i do now. It was so amazing but I couldn’t sing along or get into it a fraction of how I would if I could go now.

yeah, it’s grown on me so much since then. I feel like maybe the production distracts a bit from how good the songs are?

like… have you heard the alternate version of ‘Futile Devices’ from Call Me By Your Name?

</3 :sob: so gorgeous

I love impossible soul so much that I can’t listen to it on public transport anymore. I feel like crying at the end of it.

Feels like Sufjan wrote the song just for me. As though someone is reassuring me that I shouldn’t be sad and I can have a happy fulfilling life. I wish someone told me that when I was younger.

Hidden River Of My Life off The Greatest Gift is amazing. Ridiculous how it was just chucked on a mixtape.

NO ONE???

Okay so I’m really hoping this doesn’t come off too spammy, but 2 things occurred; I saw this thread, and I recently put out a Sufjan cover. Would anyone care to listen? And would anyone have some feedback? Let me know! :smiley:

I listened to this.

Your voice is pretty decent and has a sort of resigned quality to it which I liked.

However

• the production was way over the top. Far too much going on in terms of double tracking of vocals, weird synthetic drum track
  • are you miming in the video? It would make much more sense to redo this but with just your voice and piano. None of the Casio synths.
  • I’m not sure whether you’ve got the chord progressions quite right. Also the phrasing on some of the verses. Appreciate that this might be a deliberate attempt to make the song your own but it was a distraction.
  • the close up of your fingers on 2:26 made me do an involuntary laugh :joy:

Also there’s a classifieds board on here, which is probably the best place for posting clips of yourself.

Hope this helps!

I listened to Impossible Soul twice on the way home yesterday. It made me feel so calm when I felt anxious about whether the Tube was going to be busy.

Thanks for the feedback! Apologies, I’ll post under classifieds in the future for this sort of thing. I’ll certainly keep all of this in mind in the future, and I really appreciate it. Cheers!

Just listening to Planetarium at the moment. Quite enjoying it so far: very Adz-esque in places.

Mind you, it feels like I’ve been listening to it for quite a while and we’re on track 6 of 17!

Listened to this a couple of times now and it has some really lovely moments. It is looong though!

Been listening to the Tonya Harding tracks lots. Really beautiful stuff!

Feel like it’s one for a long, dark car journey! I’m enjoying it though.

Prog rock concept albums are meant to be long. Lovely album, in my top five for 2017. Though slightly irked that the tracks are not in solar system order.

I’ve only listened to ‘Mercury’, which I’m a bit obsessed with. track 17 of 17…

Well this world is a cold one
But it takes one to know one

I’d never heard of Tonya Harding before these tracks. There’s a really interesting post on the Asthmatic Kitty website about her life and Sufjan’s approach to writing the song:

But the more I edited, and the more I meditated, and the more I considered the wholeness of the person of Tonya Harding, I began to feel a conviction to write something with dignity and grace, to pull back the ridiculous tabloid fodder and take stock of the real story of this strange and magnificent America hero. At the end of the day, Tonya Harding was just an ordinary woman with extraordinary talent and a tireless work ethic who set out to do her very best. She did that and more. I hope the same can be said of us all.

http://asthmatickitty.com/tonya-harding/

Would love it if Sufjan won an Oscar

Been quietly hoping our boy gets an Oscar nom or even a win, starting to look like it could well happen. Really there’s been no other great original songs from last year; no high profile original musical, all the other original pop songs are schmaltzy shit that haven’t had an impact.

I think a nomination is possible, not sure about a win yet. These are the people who picked Sam Smith a few years ago after all.