Suggestions for FAQs wanted!

Hi all,

I’m going to write up an FAQ for the forums to put in “How to DiS”. I have a few things that I as admin think are important to include, but I’m also aware that from the average forum member’s point of view it might be completely different things that should (also) be included. And there might be different things for people who have used the site for years and someone who’s recently signed up, obviously. Eager to cover as much of the DiS userbase as possible, within reason.

Please note that this is not a code of conduct, but a site/forum FAQ.

So basically, tell me which Qs you want As to!

1 Like

How to send a PM to a user whose public profile is hidden seems to still come up occasionally so possibly worth including?

3 Likes

Some things I may have asked in the past.

Can I change and/or retract my vote in a poll?
How do I stop the search function from automatically including different words with similar spelling to the search term?
Can I see what was on the earlier version of an edited post?

2 Likes

How can I link to a specific post within a thread

How does Discobot work (and what is Discobot)

2 Likes

A brief history of the old board(s). So when new posters hear it mentioned or discussed they know what is meant. Obviously no references to directly triggering people/posts/events

2 Likes

Would it be worth explaining why the selfie threads are deleted?

Or even how to stop yourself appearing in the digest email?

3 Likes

I agree with the explanation about why the selfie threads are deleted. This would be helpful.

2 Likes

Just reminding myself that this still needs doing!

A guide to how to access @discobot’s tutorials would be a good idea, as it’s a little obtuse.

1 Like

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

@discobot display help

I currently know how to do the following things:

@discobot start {name-of-tutorial}

Starts an interactive tutorial just for you, in a personal message. {name-of-tutorial} can be one of: tutorial, advanced tutorial.

@discobot roll 2d6

:game_die: 3, 6

@discobot quote

:left_speech_bubble: Liberty, taking the word in its concrete sense, consists in the ability to choose. — Simone Weil

@discobot fortune

:crystal_ball: You may rely on it

This would be good. Also I wouldn’t mind a discotbot test thread for practicing as I can never get the prick to roll dice for me.

A guide to CW-ings. What they are, why they’re used, how to use them.

What is SSP?

I think some of these have been written down before but maybe good to refresh.

1 Like

That’s what this one was, back when no-one else seemed to know about it.

1 Like

Ta bbz

1 Like

This is more of a Q I have, dunno if it’s FA but… is there a way to take the blue number of posts off of the threads? Like a way to mark them as read without like opening them all?

I think if this bit says ‘tracking’ it shows you the number of new posts, so if you change it to ‘normal’ instead it might get rid?

What @Sulawesi said. Might be a good question to include, tbh.