Suit buying advice sought (boring thread)

+1 for next for off the rack, always found M&S is very unflattering for my body shape and John Lewis was out of my price range. Usually a half decent range in there as well with some interesting blazers if you feel jazzy.

1 Like

I wore a blue suit and brown shoes when I got married, I looked very nice, thank you.

6 Likes

Chazza shop

1 Like

Blue suits can be fine and nice

1 Like

That was a couple of years ago though, right?

Also never trust anyone in a suit. Especially yourself.

2 Likes
  1. But it’s still the suit I wear for weddings I attend now*

*waistline allowing

1 Like

Sinister

I fucking wish the people I knew choose to get married in London, it’s always some far off shit hole I have to get to*

*I don’t have a leg to stand on when it comes to complaining about making people travel to weddings

Blue suits are very handy, but so are grey suits. I’ve got two grey suits, one light and checked and the other pretty dark grey. Covers a lot things.
Pay how much you wanna pay. I’ve got a couple of cheaper suits from Topman that do for loads of things and I’ve got a few more expensive suits for my more expensive habits :wink:

Wore a tuxedo a few days ago for the first time ever. Room full of future tories in kilts or scarves banging spoons on the table. Mad.

I’ve got a black stalwart. Off the peg from H&M but fits me like a dream. Stopped wearing it to weddings etc. after sticking out like a sore thumb in photos amidst a wash of blue. Serves me well at funerals mind.

1 Like

Ideally you want a high percentage wool otherwise they can go shiny after a few dry cleans.
They say not to get a black suit either, they wear them in movies and stuff but they can look a bit like work uniform if you don’t wear the jacket or an undertaker ect
Some of the suits will have the thread count on them (super 120) the higher the better the quality but the quicker they wear.
Some people get cheap suits and pay a tailor to make them fit well which could cost up to £60
If you don’t have time to look about I would say you would have to spend £200 upwards
If your lucky Tk Max can be quite good
But Charles Twyrett or Tm Lewin are also good, worth waiting for a sale or looking online in there clearance section

I got a dark blue suit by Dunn & Co in the RSPCA shop in Crouch End for five quid about three years ago. Fit me perfectly. I wore it to an interview and as I approached the building a man coming from the other direction said to me, “Nice suit.” He turned out to be one of the interviewers. :smiley:

3 Likes

I’ve actually bought four different suits from charity shops. The other three needed altering slightly. But paying a tailor for alterations was still cheaper by far than getting a brand new suit (even one from a high street shop with inferior material).

1 Like

Paying more than about 10-15 quid for a suit is an absolute sham

Yeah I bought my wedding suit for £80 off eBay then paid about the same to get it tailored and re-pressed. Looked fucking great.

Alright

6 Likes

I think the charity shops are catching on though, as the suits aren’t as cheap as they used to be, £70 to £80 these days at least

1 Like

Blue suit wanker reporting in.