Summer 2018 Brexit Thread

I dunno

But I don’t understand something …almost all major bilateral agreements involve a ratification stage at a later date dunno why it hasn’t been part of the conversation here

In the meantime people are talking about taking the hit of total economic collapse and food shortages because WILL OF THE PEOPLE

1 Like

So much this. As much as I despair, at the moment, there’s only two ways right now I can see in which some form of Brexit doesn’t happen.

1. Tories vote down the government and we have a general election. IF that happens, then Labour’s position becomes important, but we’ve seen time and time again that they’re not willing to do it in the numbers necessary.

2. A second referendum becomes politically expedient for the government. I’d bet they’d get one through with Labour support. However, there’s no gurantee that the result would be any different (much as we might like it, there’s no way that the Tories go with a 3-way question.

In both cases, the Tory “rebels” are the all important thing to my mind; they’re the only people with the power to force a change in government policy and unless they’re willing to wield it nothing’s changing.

“Do anything at the weekend Prime Minister.”
“Not really.”
“Oh, because, um, I heard a rumour about a phone call.”
“Nope. I was out ALL weekend, running through fields of wheat.”
“Oh. Why have all the televisions been ripped from the walls and thrown in a skip?”
“I wanted to redecorate.”

6 Likes

You’re assuming there’s actually going to be a bilateral agreement here. Optimisim :slight_smile:

(Ratification is by our representatives in parliament, not by “the people” in a referendum)

1 Like

It was a reference to the constant attempts to by-pass parliamentary sovereignty by the PM.

As for the ‘democracy’ of the referendum, lets not go there again, the points have been made many times and for my opinion on referendums I refer you to the David Davis quote I made in this thread the other week.

dictatorship of the posters will solve all this tbh

2 Likes

I don’t see how this is helping.

1 Like

Can’t remember.

1 Like

Well yes & yes

But still, changing the political language to one of carefull process rather than dog whistle suicide would be something

3 Likes

Whilst Nick’s argument on this is by turns funny, frustrating and depressing, it does illustrate the insanity gripping the liberal commentariat and the FPBErs quite nicely. We’re all in a nosediving plane together, and people are shouting “Surely there’s something we can do! CORBYN! DO SOMETHING” whilst locked in the cockpit the Tories are arguing with one another about the exact trajectory into the sea.

Aww thanks.

btw I never mentioned Corbyn once. I was asked what I’d do if I was labour leader. And then just went on generally how it’s a disaster and needs to be stopped and that I view it from a general national view rather than some party political view.

To take your metaphor, the planes crashing, the pilot could land safely but they’re all going, ‘but if we don’t crash and they survive they’ll never fly with us again!’

How many parachutes have we got?

Also, it’s worth pointing out that when the plane crashes that isn’t the end of the story, it’s just the beginning of Act 2 which involves the survivors turning to cannabalism while the sharks and vultures circle and pick over the remains and the ensuing oil slick lays waste to all but the hardiest of scavengers

2 Likes

I deeply regret that post.

5 Likes

True, but crashing also means the ones in the cockpit and 1st class will get a massive insurance payout, plus all the fish in the surrounding waters. Bit of pleb collateral damage is nae bother.

1 Like

Alright, Davey Cameron

1 Like

Literally every person with any control thinks that crashing is a good idea and are going ahead with it and your saying what you’d do as someone not on the plane watching

Nah, Davey would stand solidly behind that post by swanning off to have a better time on BullingdonOldBoys.com and leaving the rest of us too it.

1 Like

@balonz

1 Like

Yet another reason not to crash.

This is where metaphors get unwieldy. I’m not flying it but I, like everyone else, am a passenger on the plane and will feel the effects of the crash.