Summer 2018 Brexit Thread

Overrated tannin.

Wow, Theresa May trying to get Parliament to go on holiday 5 days early.

3 Likes

i take it she’s thinking a potential leadership challenge can be averted if they recess early and passions cool. she’s actually less competent than trump.

1 Like

There may not be a leadership challenge because Mogg and co have got exactly what they want. She can stay and take the fall.

1 Like

I see that the Jolyons were using this news as a reason to bash Labour this morning.

How did he qualify professionally?

And the old favourite of insisting Laura Kuenssberg should be sacked

Well, the way that the BBC covered it this morning was appalling. Yet again doing a ‘both sides’ report between Vote Leave and the independent watchdog.

But yeah:

https://mobile.twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1019110505947041792

Vs

https://mobile.twitter.com/iantn84/status/1019114882426458112/photo/1

The logic of these morons is astounding.

Who called the referendum? Conservative Prime Minister David Cameron
Yeah, but who organised and staffed the Vote Leave Campaign Mainly UKIP and the most right wing of the Tory party
Ah, but a couple of Labour people also got involved didn’t they? Sure, it’s a wide issue that stretched somewhat across party lines, but most of them came from the right
OK, so mainly right wing people ran the campaign but are Labour condemning this on Twitter? Not at this precise second but-
THERE YOU GO THEN LABOUR ARE TO BLAME FOR ALL OF THIS. … I give up

3 Likes

Again - blind partisanship makes mugs and hypocrites of us all

If only Corbyn spoke about nothing else this would all be fine.

(How’s that working out for the Lib Dems?)

4 Likes

Ha! (We’ll put the slight, troubling increase for UKIP in the polls to one side for a second)

But yes people who think that political parties, and leaders for that matter, should exist solely as mouthpieces for what THEY want - in the bin.

Don’t forget, which party’s 2015 voters voted Leave by a significant majority and which voted Remain by a 2:1 margin

1 Like

Well if they’d have turned up to vote rather than getting paid to slag off gays the government would’ve been defeated

Of course it shouldn’t be too late. Nation duped into doing something stupid should decide not do the stupid thing rather than just going ahead with it anyway.

1 Like

Or at the very least do the stupid thing in the least destructive way possible

It’s more that (as was seen with Soubry’s speech last night), Labour could be saying the same thing over and over again, but as soon as it comes out of the mouth of a ‘centrist’, it’s seen as a damming indictment of the leadership and an example of what ‘a proper opposition is like’.

The amount of times you see people whining in twitter mentions that Corbyn is ‘silent’ on a particular topic, but a cursory Google reveals that statements/speeches or campaigns have been made, is huge. There’s an argument to make that the messages aren’t cutting through (a hostile press and a dumpster fire of a government mean that the party can expect to get little coverage outside of general election periods), but these people like to claim that they’re politically aware to the point that they deverve the vote more than Leavers. To be so clueless or disingenuous is ridiculous.

3 Likes

Yeah - same thing in my mind, “proper opposition” = “people I like saying things that I like”. It all comes from the same place. More irksome I find is the FPBE argument (Eddie Marsan, who seems like a decent chap in general but is infuriating on this, in particular) that Corbyn wants a hard Brexit because he’s ideologically driven by it which… if you’re someone who’s paid any attention to Labour’s movements on the matter post-referendum, simply doesn’t logically hold.

Yep. And this is also irksome wrt the call for “A People’s Vote”. Patronising rubbish which just screams “the people didn’t do The Right Thing last time so we need to ask them again until they do”. I mean I’m not dogmatically against another vote, if circumstances conspire to make one both correct and necessary, but that pitch is appalling.

1 Like

Starting to think another vote of some kind may be necessary… Can’t see there being a commons majority for any option when we get to the point of no return.

Of course, May will probably extend article 50 instead in true “kicking the can down the road” fashion.

This is all making no deal more likely imho

I fear you are right.

1 Like