Summer 2018 Brexit Thread

It’s weird watching this as an Irish person because we have a horrible pro-austerity tory government too, but on this issue they’re doing everything right

Sub brexit for trump

Anything in this do we think?

Also this sentence:
Nearly 80% of the estimated 1 to 2 million Britons living overseas in EU countries are of working age or younger.

How can you quantify something as ‘nearly’ 80% of such a broad range. Is it 80% of 1 million or 80% of 2 million?

You could probably work out the 80% figure from a relatively small sample size, then it scales up regardless of whether it’s 1 million or 10 million people.

Aye OK, I just think it’s poorly worded. It could be either 800,000 people or 1.6 million people by my reading.

Obviously the whole Brexit thing is just incomprehensibly terrible, but when you see the little details like this, it’s then that it gets really, really bad.

Just change your name to Aardvark Aardvark.

OhThe replies are saying that and it’s Not Funny

Blimey

I saw a thread on FB yesterday. A friend of a friend was arguing for a hard Brexit. Usual cliches, we managed before, they need us more etc. Someone linked to the story about the NHS in real trouble due to staffing shortages. His answer? Compulsory first aid courses at school and people can start treating themselves and others at home.

So if anyone needs me, I will be cleaning my Black and Decker for my morning schedule of appendix removals.

definitely had a conversation about people doing surgery at home with @Garrardinho once, possibly on our podcast

he was in favour, i was laughing too much to object

true

What’s the 7% there? The Lib Dems vote share?

I think so. I could just google this but im too lazy today.

Yes

But if the 40% copied the 7% they would have a eleventy billion% vote share.

FACT

eh I think centrists are stupid but I don’t think their position on brexit had anything to do with the amount of votes they got

being hypocritical liars and having someone who hates gay people as their leader and so on were more important

edit: think I missed the point

The whole ‘most people voted for pro-brexit parties in the election’ is such a redundant brexiteer claim.

It wasn’t a re-run of the referendum, it was a completely different set up and Labour at the time were promising customs union access and the most important thing was stopping the tories (which are both reasons why I personally voted labour then). To say my vote was somehow an endorsement of brexit is completely wrong.