Summer 2018 Brexit Thread

14 Tory rebels, including one ministerial resignation (Guto Bebb).

3 Labour rebels voted with the government. Hoey, Field and Stringer. They’ve been very critical of Corbyn and will be deselcted by their local parties if the party’s planned reforms actually get through. It’s so frustrating though.

Both parties must have been missing a fair few mps too, judging by the numbers?

Given the late finish, there’ll always be an element of pairing in these kind of things, across all the parties, not just the big two.

Oh i know. Late finishes are in need of a big overhaul.

https://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/1018976227351199757

Imagine they’ll have been paired, but very odd for Lib Dems to be seen as missing key votes on the issue that is their only policy.

1 Like

Given that they only have 12 MPs, it’s a doubly bad look that a sixth of them (at least) didn’t vote, and that it’s their two best known MPs as well.

1 Like

I’ve just read that pairings were suspended, so I have no idea what’s gone on.

New clause 37, which would make it unlawful for Northern Ireland to form a separate customs territory to Great Britain, passed on the nod.

NI can’t be different to ROI

ergo, EU won’t accept whatever the brexiteers try to offer

hard brexit it is

This is unbearable stuff, who knew that taking back control would involve so much lying & cheating?

When is the trash compactor finally gonna squish this Govt?

:face_vomiting:

1 Like

Still can’t believe Hoey hasn’t resigned and joined UKIP, TBH.

1 Like

She’s pretty much a DUP MP these days.

If last years election hadn’t been a snap one, I doubt she’d have been reselected.

She’d have to move back to NI to join the DUP though, surely? I mean I assume her constituents support her politics, hence I’d have thought she could join UKIP and just keep on, like Douglas Carswell (?)

I didn’t mean that she was literally a DUP MP. She’s appeared in quite a few photoshoots with the Orange Order over the years and is probably closer to them, politically, than UKIP or the Tories.

Vauxhall was one of the strongest Remain constituencies in the country and the membership of her local CLP are openly talking about how they’re going to deselect her at the earliest opportunity.

Like with most MPs, she won her seat because she was her party’s candidate, not because her constituents support her personal politics.

further developing my theory that the 2011 horror film KILL LIST predicted much of the uk’s current moment, including brexit

No surprise that even the official campaign was up to dodgy shit, but it’s all too late now isn’t it.

“may is a PINO” is a twitter take that is unintentionally brilliant

What’s a PINO?

Prime Minister In Name Only

1 Like