Summer 2018 Brexit Thread

Nah not even close.

Yup. This genuinely haunts me at night just thinking about it. I slept really badly the other week after reading this thread in bed.

Sammy Wilson attempting to get into memes. Doesn’t seem to own a non-watermarked picture of his own face.

https://twitter.com/eastantrimmp/status/1018980281154457601

3 Likes

the absolute worst people

1 Like

I knew it! Even when it was the bears I knew it was Corbygants!

7 Likes

It was a brilliant list of excuses though!

https://twitter.com/politic_animal/status/1019183013173825537

1 Like

So this customs union add on might go through today…

that if there’s no deal by january we must join the customs union. Does this mean that the killing of the backstop by ERG yesterday and the immovable pillars of the EU mean we’re forced to stay in in all but name?

Mental this

I’ve frankly given up trying to work out what our negotiating position means. Imagine being on the EU side of negotiations watching all this.

3 Likes

They’re surely just chilling waiting for hard brexit by now

But if we’re in the customs union we have to accept the freedom of movement don’t we and we’re putting in place that we will be in it if we don’t get a deal…

Shut up safebruv, go make a brew

1 Like

That cartoon is very Arrested Development.

Just need Corbyn to find an important job for Hoey, Field and Stringer to do during tonight’s vote

14 Likes

a few years ago i got quite deep into reading about the financial crisis and was particularly fascinated in a messed up way by how close things came to armageddon.

i mean, if the banks hadn’t had a shit ton of cash pumped into them the economy would’ve literally stopped - money would’ve stopped moving around the system. some people who worked in finance were calling their partners telling them to get the kids in the car with a load of food and guns and get the fuck out of town in expectation of food riots etc.

of course there’s people who saw it coming. some of them made shitloads of money out of it. some of them just felt satisfied to have understood the problem and been ready.

i can’t help but wonder how it will feel to people who don’t see the reality of hard brexit coming. y’know, the kind of person that looks at the news this week and just thinks “oh they seem to be getting nowhere, but i’m sure i’ll be fine on a day to day basis” while we’re all sitting around going “this could literally kill so so many people”

4 Likes

As upsetting as it is reading this thread, I am honestly so grateful for it. Living back with my family means that I am surrounded by people who are pro-Brexit, the empire, Trump, Tommy Robinson and the rest who are actively looking forward to crashing out without a deal because their life is shit, but at least once we’re out it’ll be shit only this time without foreigners taking up public money. (yes, I know, but I’ve lost the energy to argue)

Just the other day my mum and neighbours were ranting to me how the anti-Trump protests were wrong because “we need to humour him. We need America, we’re only a small country” when for years they’ve been screaming about how the EU needs us more than we need them, ffs!

I know people decry online left-wing bubbles but this is honestly a lifeline, just knowing there are people out there who want the world to be different - even if we argue about semantics.

20 Likes

One of the frustrations I have about the prospect of a no deal brexit is trying to explain it to people, talking about the prospects of food shortages, the economy tanking and the idea that NI will be powered by a flotilla of ships with power generators attached for a while, and they just shrug it off and say ‘that will not happen’. Not to be a wanker, but I know my stuff on this topic reasonably well, but no one seems to care. Just really really annoying.

Also seems to be a fair amount of apathy amongst ppl I know who think all will be well because they are entitled to an Irish passport so ‘we can still go on holidays!’ ahhhhhhhh

2 Likes

Or they’ll talk about “the blitz spirit” being just what we need.

Outstanding

1 Like

Actually, I grouse over minutiae, thank you very much.

4 Likes

Yup, because to them it’s fantasy. We’ve had 50 years of politics not really meaning much to people, never really affecting their lives (in the broad sense obv the poorest have been screwed by austerity etc) but nothing to the extent of food shortages/riots/production stopping/power cuts etc. Which is why we have the ‘it’s all pointless/nothing changes/politicians are all the same’ from people when politics comes up.

2 Likes