Summer Cricket Thread 🏏 🦗 (looks like insects are back on the menu) 🦗

Horrific call by YJB. Heads have gone all round the team.

Might need the rain to save us at this rate

Reasons you might die prematurely

• Drink
  • Drugs
  • Car accident
  • Watching England

0 voters

Just bought tickets for Headingley v India test in August

This test will go ahead

• Y
  • N

0 voters

This test will make it it to Day 4

• Y
  • N
  • N/A

0 voters

Australia’s attack failing to run through a largely 2nd choice India batting line up is:

• Promising for the Ashes
  • Lol. Like England will ever show that degree of discipline and determination.

0 voters

this will never not be an absolute joy

That Indian top 6 is still pretty tasty though. They’re similar to England, in that there are definitely 2 teams’ worth of batsmen that could do a decent job of batting in test cricket.

Here’s a “second” England XI consisting entirely of players not in this past test XI. In some ways, it’s possibly better than the team that is playing; two spinners - off/leg, two steady seamers, two more “impact” pace bowlers, plus a 3rd spinner if required.

Mad to think how much depth there is in the England team now.

Joe Denly
Rory Burns
Moeen Ali
Ben Stokes
Ollie Pope
James Vince*
Ben Foakes (†)
Chris Woakes
Jofra Archer
Adil Rashid**
James Anderson

*or Eoin Morgan, Dawid Malan, Tom Curran possibly - there are a bunch of “possibles” for the middle-order.

**or Matt Parkinson

1 Like

@mods Can we bookmark this for a jinx banning when we’re 60 odd all out on the first morning of the first test please?

2 Likes

@mods just to clear up any confusion what I’m saying is that, in spite of India playing a second-string team due to injuries, their batting line-up is still less likely to collapse than England’s.

I then went into fantasy cricket team-making, but that second team is veeery likely to collapse as well.

Denly: 27 (75)
Burns: 57 (121)
Moeen: 7 (5)
Stokes: 0 (1)
Pope: 7 (5)
Vince: 22 (30)
Foakes: 35 (62)
Woakes: 75 (108)
Archer 7 (5)
Rashid 3 (7)
Andeson 2* (10)
Extras: 21
Total: 263 or something

This is the default innings from this team

…Dear lord I miss playing cricket

1 Like

Lovely stuff

1 Like

Is that where he was watching from? Lovely stuff :smiley:

Yep… been following it for a while as i know him… Been there for 10 months waiting for the test. Didnt think it was gonna work out for him after the 1st couple of days as he kept getting moved by the police but then the England press officer sorted him a press pass. Think he’s allowed in the ground for the 2nd test. Its been great fun to follow, he disguised himself as a builder on one day!

1 Like

Just been looking at an old Wisden from 1988, summers were a bit different back then. Graham hick scored 3,684 runs in all competitions. He played over 100 days of cricket.

I think that was the summer that he scored more than 1000 first class runs before the end of May, including a quadruple century in one innings

Good knowledge. 405no and he needed 153 against the west indies in the last match of may to make 1000, made 172.

I’d forgotten about that innings against the Windies. Ambrose found him out three years later though. Just shows how different Test cricket can be, even against the same players. There’s the classic story of Border telling Shane Warne to hide his variations in a warm up match against Robin Smith (or maybe it was Hick again). He got belted all over the park but it was a different story once the Ashes started

That 405* by Hick was the first time I really became aware of cricket - went onto watch as much as I could of the series against the West Indies that summer and was hooked.

3,684 runs in a summer is an absurd number, even taking into account the higher number of first-class matches (albeit a mix of 3 and 4 day games) and the three one-day competitions.

First for me was seeing the scorecard from the Ashes with Chris Broad and Tim Robinson opening the batting on a TV round my friend’s house, must be 86/87 from a quick google. Either turned me into a stats nerd or just brought it out, used to read my dad’s Wisdens and play dice cricket. Then the 405* led me to following Hick’s career and like you it really took off from there.

I did this an awful lot too. Started pretty simplistically and then developed into a multi-dice system so I could measure the number of balls a batsman was facing / produce more in-depth bowling analysis.

1 Like